Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Daft question - screening for STIs

(4 Posts)
CelticSpring Mon 01-Aug-11 14:01:39

Hello,

This is a really daft question, but only arisen with me fairly late in life. Before I was with DH for 10 years, we never had any STI tests done, we used condoms to begin with, and then I went on the pill.

I'm in a new relationship now and we're using condoms. However, would you recommend both of going down the GUM clinic before we change contraception methods? What's the etiquette here?

I know this is stupid and very naive, but I'd welcome advice

Grevling Mon 01-Aug-11 14:07:40

Both go to the clinic. Though they won't tell you each others results.

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Mon 01-Aug-11 16:25:19

Yes of course you should, good plan. Unless you're happy continuing with condoms forever.

Xales Mon 01-Aug-11 19:24:36

Yes it is a very sensible thing to do as some people get no symptoms from certain STIs.

From what I remember reading STIs are on the increase in certain age ranges due to long term relationships breaking down and people being back out dating and not being careful.

Although if as Grevling says they don't tell you each others results you have to trust your partner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now