Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

"Dating" DH again...Unusual ideas for dates/things to do Help please!!

(29 Posts)
fuzzypeach Sat 23-Jul-11 10:47:18

DH and I are have recently separated and are trying to resolve things. We are currently trying "dating" and so far have just been out for meals etc. I am trying to think of some unusual things we could do together, or just basically something that isnt going out for a meal (or the cinema where we wont speak to each other for 2 hours!!)
The quirkier the better smile
Thanks for any suggestions!

cjbartlett Sat 23-Jul-11 10:50:21

Picnic in the park
National trust/ English heritage places
Down the pub for a few drinks

countingto10 Sat 23-Jul-11 10:54:49

A local race meeting with lunch/dinner included. Me and DH did this when we were "getting back together" - one was a "Ladies Day" so we both had to dress up. A Theatre break, ten pin bowling etc. I think the object is to have fun together because within a long marriage with the stresses and strains of working, young DC etc, the fun tends to disappear ......

Good luck.

fuzzypeach Sat 23-Jul-11 11:24:58

Thanks. We have very little in common as we have let our paths drift further and further apart over the last 10 years, so I am hoping we can find some common interests. We are going to a large flower show in a National Trust Park tomorrow together (he is very into gardening, I would like to know more) so that's something a little different I guess. It's hard to think of things that are different and fun though, so thanks for the suggestions! x

FreudianSlipper Sat 23-Jul-11 11:29:01

ice skating or roller skating

its great fun, lots of contact and you will laugh lots (unless you are both accomplished skaters)

MovingAndScared Sat 23-Jul-11 11:37:59

I find a walk can be good - we tend to fine we talk more walking and its easier to raise things!
something neither of you has done! one of those things like Go Ape maybe?

ImperialBlether Sat 23-Jul-11 11:42:00

I wonder why you want to be with him if you have nothing in common.

Why don't you alternate and choose what you'll do on the date. If you each choose something you really enjoy and take your partner along so that they can understand what you like about it, then that might be a start to understanding each other.

MovingAndScared Sat 23-Jul-11 12:04:53

ImperialBlether - give the OP some credit she is trying to sort out her problems - surely there are good reasons to at least try!

javo Sat 23-Jul-11 12:13:39

What about some sort of exercise or dance class - such as ceroc, salsa or zumba (many run above pubs or restaraunts) or go to a tea dance in a local posh hotel.

Does your local area have a climbing wall or dry ski slope - or some other "different" activity - zorbing, hang gliding, bungee, canoeing,bouldering, riding etc!
How about a "tantric yoga" weekend or a course like that where you are learning new things together and may have a laugh.

What did you like doing together in your early days ?

GollyHolightly Sat 23-Jul-11 12:15:40

How about a game of squash or badminton, or going to a climbing centre?

Astrophe Sat 23-Jul-11 12:21:46

Is there a lake or river nearby where you could hire a rowing boat for an hour? That would be fun I think smile Or hire bikes (if you don't have any), or a tandem bike!?

Astrophe Sat 23-Jul-11 12:24:43

if either of you like cooking could you have a "cook off" where you each have to cook a dish (in the same kitchen, at the same time)? Or if the competetive aspect wouldn't help, just find something really posh/impressive/complicated that you wouldn't normally eat, and cook it together?

DH and I used to have so much fun cooking (+drinking wine+listening to music) together before the DC were born, and we often talk about it and look forward to having the time to do it again smile

Fuzzy - well done to you and DH for giving your relationship a chance smile

BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-11 12:29:12

On one of the Guardian podcasts, one of the journalists goes on dates with his wife alphabetically. So A was for, I dunno, an Arsenal football match, B was for Ballet, C was for Canoeing, etc etc

P for Punting?
Q for Quiz (pub quiz, or get tickets for a TV/Radio quiz show?)
R for Rambling?
S for Standup Comedy?
T for Tate Modern?

mouldyironingboard Sat 23-Jul-11 13:19:34

Go out for afternoon tea in a beautiful country house hotel.

A day out at the seaside (hopefully on a sunny day).

Go out late at night to look at the stars and planets. My DH and I do this quite often as we are both interested in the star formations (I know - we're a couple of geeks!)

ImperialBlether Sat 23-Jul-11 13:22:21

Sorry, MovingAndScared! Just that I thought having something in common would be a reason for wanting to get back with someone.

jinxediam Sat 23-Jul-11 15:58:22

People are harsh on here -good on you for giving it another go.

Have a look at at lastminute.com - I found some really random activities for DH and myself to do when we started dating again after our separation. Also groupon.co.ukis good for unusual activities as and when they come up.

We've had some great days/ evenings out from those sites and was more fun than the usual drinks/dinner nights out. Plus we felt it breathed some fresh air in to our relationship and allowed us to be a couple rather than just mum and dad.

Good luck and enjoy!

colditz Sat 23-Jul-11 16:02:57

Go to the museum. Plenty to talk about whilst you wander around.

jinxediam Sat 23-Jul-11 16:06:50

By the way- we did indoor skydiving, zorbing, some very unusual art expos, rope climbing and quite a few events at the O2 by this method!

Love the idea of A-Z dating... will have to raise that idea with DH (yes it did work- been back together 2 years since!)

Butterbur Sat 23-Jul-11 16:13:20

Take a bottle of champagne and a picnic rug to a local beauty spot on a sunny evening, and watch the sun set.

Go to the seaside for the day.

Get a firepit and sit round it drinking and watching the stars.

fuzzypeach Sun 24-Jul-11 00:49:31

Some brilliant ideas...thank you! That's given me plenty to work with!
I want to work things our because I love him, and we have two children together. We used to have things in common but 10 years of busy lives/kids/stressful jobs working all hours/both suffering depression etc etc we have ended up drifting apart not least in our common interests so this is just one thing in a whole chain of things we ate working on together.

spamm Sun 24-Jul-11 02:22:49

How about taking a class together to develop a new joint hobby - cooking, language, pottery, painting, car maintenance.... Doesn't really matter what it is, it would give you something to share.

TDada Sun 24-Jul-11 04:14:20

the driving range (golf) is as therapeutic as gardening... Worth trying. TenPin bowling can be tacky but good fun.

TDada Sun 24-Jul-11 04:15:22

Exercising together...team sport, jogging, badminton, table tennis, tennis,squash....good for bonding and can be very sexy

TDada Sun 24-Jul-11 04:16:36

Just noticed that I repeated some of GollyH's suggestions

prolificwillybreeder Sun 24-Jul-11 21:40:11

I just tried to talk to DP about the A-Z of dates... I got told to talk to him about it later as he was watching the tv. I can only laugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now