Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone else's relationship suffering as a result of mumsnet?!

(17 Posts)
bail Wed 20-Jul-11 13:28:49

My DH is utterly baffled by my addiction to Mumsnet.

Everytime he walks into the lounge in the evening, I am at my computer. He says 'Mumsnet?', I say 'Oh no... I am doing this, that or the other'. The reality of course is that I am on Mumsnet.

I caught myself yesterday making out to DH I was writing an email to a mutual friend who has emigrated. Was I heck, I was on Mumsnet, furiously typing out a posting.

We had an argument yesterday, as I have a tendency to talk quite loudly and my DH is always telling me to lower my voice or shush. I said that I found it denigrating me when he tells me to shush and it is degrading. He looked aghast and said that that kind of language was clearly the affect of Mumsnet. He was right!

Got to stop! Apparently there is an application that will restrict you to twenty mins and then will not allow you back on forthe rest of the day.

Am I alone?

ImperialBlether Wed 20-Jul-11 13:31:38

Where is that application!!! No relationship here (waah! until I read Relationships then yes!) but I waste far too much time on here. Only use a laptop though.

HampstersDontSwim Wed 20-Jul-11 14:17:20

Yes
I am resenting being such a pathetic doormat and its not going down too well grin

I also lie about spending time on here.
I may have called him a 'twunt' and told him to 'fuck the fuck off and when you get there ect'
All in all I'm quite pleased wink

garlicbutter Wed 20-Jul-11 14:27:15

Brilliant idea!
I've just installed Leech Block for Firefox.

If it works, I'll be locked outta here until 19:30 smile

ImperialBlether Wed 20-Jul-11 14:30:37

Fantastic - that's just what I want! Umm I'll install it later.

DavidDickinsonsTan Wed 20-Jul-11 14:32:25

once i am on here, i am usually wasting a whole day, but can leave it for a week or so without thinking about it

TartanKitty Wed 20-Jul-11 14:50:17

So you're a binge Mumsnetter then DDT, me too!

QuimFabray Wed 20-Jul-11 14:55:46

How is your relationship generally?

Do you think he feels threatened by MN? For example, he's wondered if you're finding fault in him by what you're reading on here?

GotTheHump Wed 20-Jul-11 15:03:00

it can be quite tiresome when someone has an obsession or is continually saying oh but x does this, x says to do that, and all the psychobabble nonsense is just daft

if i were you, i would try visiting other forums as well, preferably with a better balance of ages, genders, topics etc than MN has

Malificence Wed 20-Jul-11 15:08:54

No, if anything it's confirmed my view that if you act like a doormat, you will be treated like one and that having high standards, both for yourself and for your partner is a good thing.
I can pretty much guarantee that if I'm sat on MN of an evening, DH will be on his laptop playing CSI on facebook or looking for baking recipes, we are in the same room and still have conversations but we're on separate laptops on separate sofas smile .

inatrance Wed 20-Jul-11 18:15:06

Malificence we do the two laptops in the same room thing as well! grin

Anniegetyourgun Wed 20-Jul-11 18:45:18

Well it was Warcraft that mainly did for my marriage, but he wasn't very happy about Mumsnet either.

TDada Wed 20-Jul-11 18:56:52

My DW likes to tell people that I am a MN regular, which I don't think I am. I think she thinks that I spend too much time on it. DW introduced me but now probably spends less time on MN than I do. Now DCs think that it is an acceptable way to tease (embarrass) me. I remain steadfast even though some of my male friends think something strange and out of character has happened to me.....BTW I joined a few years ago to have an argument Zenia about schools.

caramelwaffle Wed 20-Jul-11 19:42:16

You had an argument with Xenia about schools shock

In awe grin wink

garlicbutter Wed 20-Jul-11 19:55:22

It works! Tried and tested Leech Block for Firefox. It even has an option to disallow changes to a website's viewing times while it's blocked. It must have been developed by someone as weak-willed as me; I tried to unblock Mumsnet halfway through the afternoon. I've got loads more work done today blush

... and now I'm feeling all left out of the ongoing conversation grin

caramelwaffle Wed 20-Jul-11 19:59:19

grin

TDada Wed 20-Jul-11 23:51:25

Caramel- I was innocent in those days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now