Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

whats the difference between LOVE and INFATUATION?

(11 Posts)
robingood19 Wed 20-Jul-11 09:57:47

I have been told that love is a two way street. Infatuation is a one way street. It makes sense

But its a bigger subject than that.

msfishneedsabycycle Wed 20-Jul-11 11:36:33

I would like to know when it stops being lust and becomes love? Anyone got any answers?

SingOut Wed 20-Jul-11 11:44:05

Dunno, but I quite like the term Limerence and its definition, helped me to understand more about infatuation. Link here: [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence]

TheAtomicBum Wed 20-Jul-11 11:44:47

I think of it as being a different metaphor. A candle.

Lust: A fiery, uncontrolled candle. It is selfish and burns brightest. It outshines others around it, but it can so easily burn deep scares. Soon burns itself out and leaves nothing behind but a memory of how bright it once was.

Love: A controlled candle. You can depend on it to bring light when all seems dark, but the light will last the night. It comforts, and it is warm but it won't burn you as easily. It is the candle you want to burn next to your bed and in you home at night. The one that is true beaty.

SingOut Wed 20-Jul-11 11:45:19

whoops, here ya go: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence

RabbitPie Wed 20-Jul-11 11:47:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DontGoCurly Wed 20-Jul-11 12:02:26

Infatuation is the fun bit at the start where you have sex all day and every word from their mouth is nectar.

Love is the boring worthy bit that comes after that's supposed to be better but is not contentment of being together hmm

RabbitPie Wed 20-Jul-11 12:05:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DontGoCurly Wed 20-Jul-11 12:09:59

blush I love contentment but it's no match for hot sex ! blushblushblush

Pootles2010 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:14:08

'When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the desire to mate every second of the day. It is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every part of your body. No... don't blush. I am telling you some truths. For that is just being in love; which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over, when being in love has burned away...'

From Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Dr Iannis (SP?) to his daughter.

TheAtomicBum Wed 20-Jul-11 12:30:03

"I love contentment but it's no match for hot sex !"

I don't know, it's been 7 years and we still have great sex. Not as often as that first six months, but I certainly know how to make her happy in the bedroom a lot better now.

I disagree that infatuation is the start of love. If you are infatuated, it can never become love. For in my experience, infatuation is when you are in love with the idea of the person. The way they look, smell, smile. But not the depth of that person. I Wouldn't claim to have loved my DP from the moment I met her, but it was always different. There was a deeper connection since before we first went to bed together. We could talk to eachother in ways neither of us had before. We understood eachother (which for me is a rare bond to find).

And I have wondered if we did know when we first met that something more would develop than a simple lust.

And something to bare in mind: To forever chase nector is to forever know thirst.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now