Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What would you make of this?

(12 Posts)
KennethThePage Sun 17-Jul-11 23:22:21

2 people meet online ( 1 single/1 relatively recently out of a relationship which ended amicably-no baggage/trauma) on a site which is geared towards like-minded people getting together for sex rather than full on relationship stuff (and that's genuinely what both parties were after)

In the 17 days since first contact there have been 140 emails.

Rather than the emails being about physical stuff/getting down to it etc (the sexual stuff is all suggestive/anticipatory) there appears to be a quite major 'click' thing going on. The 2 people really seem to 'get' each other. The emails comprise of the type of witty banter/humour/thinly veiled admiration usually found in a Marian Keyes novel.

They make each other laugh (out loud often), have the same taste in pretty much everything, reference the same (mostly obscure) tv/film/music and spend far too long each day anticipating the other's emails.

Oh and they met up once (no sex-just a pretty mind-blowing snog) and there was enough 'spark' to power Britain for a week.

Safe to assume it's gone beyond booty call with a stranger? Is this normal for a casual fling or am I right to think it's something that doesn't happen very often?

elastamum Sun 17-Jul-11 23:24:52

If you want to know the answer, and the answer matters to you, can I suggest you put your cards on the table with the other person before getting your kit off. We can only speculate!

BooyHoo Sun 17-Jul-11 23:27:24

it all sounds very immature to me tbh.

if you like them then you like them, tell them and see what happens. it doesn't matter that it wasn't your intention to become involved.

caramelwaffle Sun 17-Jul-11 23:31:25

Yes. It all sounds very (sniff) "soulmatey".

caramelwaffle Sun 17-Jul-11 23:32:24

(which is not a positive)

buzzsore Sun 17-Jul-11 23:33:03

It's easy to mirror someone's interests and think up witty banter via email etc. Only time and getting to know each other in real life will reveal whether it's going somewhere.

AnyFucker Sun 17-Jul-11 23:34:05

are you writing a column ?

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 17-Jul-11 23:34:20

The most important sex organ is the brain. It is no surprise that suggestion, coupled with a little contact is provoking such a powerful response.

Pancakeflipper Sun 17-Jul-11 23:38:13

1 person could be genuine, the other morphing themselves to suit the other..
It just sounds too complicated and game-playing to me.

KennethThePage Sun 17-Jul-11 23:42:35

Cards are in the process of being put on the table as we speak elastamum and of course you're right in terms of it being done pre-nookie.

Nothing immature about it BooyHoo unless you count asking MN for their combined wisdom/opinion as a contribution to your thought processes 'immature'. I've always found it valuable in the past.

Fwiw we have discussed the rarity of meeting someone we get on with so well.

caramel I know what you mean but the very concept of 'soulmates' makes me boke tbh. I am a realist and am actually not someone who even subscribes to the monogamous relationship idea.

Dione - what you said is true. There is a lot to be said for mental stimulation/manipulation.

From my experience there aren't that many men who are willing to invest their time in engaging in intellectually gratifying foreplay - esp not ones on that kind of site.

Food for thought. Thank you.

Pancakeflipper Sun 17-Jul-11 23:49:27

Oh for fucks sake... Just sort yourselves out.

Stop this barmy mindfuck stuff. Do you both fancy each other? Are you both available to date?

If so pick a restaurant/ cinema/ park bench and have a date.

Stop over complicating it.

BooyHoo Sun 17-Jul-11 23:50:07

no, you have misunderstood my post. asking for opinions isnt what sounds immature. the whole "major 'click'" and "really 'getting' each other' aswell as spending the whole day anticipating the other's email, the 'spark' and the 'mind blowing snog' is what comes across as very teenagery.

is it possible that you actually aren't just after sex and somewhere inside you hope for more to come from your online meetings? i aske because i have been in a place where i thought i only wanted sex but i found myself getting very excited about each new person i met and i would read far more into things than what was actually there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now