Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

getting blackmailed

(15 Posts)
Hamburger11 Sat 16-Jul-11 13:05:18

hi its my first time on here dnt knw if this is the right forum but... ok here goes
some1 recently hacked my email account and it had a lot of personal info. now this person is sending me requests to chat with him. i have been ignoring him so far but he is getting more and more threatning saying he will post my pics and stuff. also he says i knw him from a few years back. its been two weeks now and now he is saying OR ELSE stuff
i dnt knw if i make much sense and i dnt knw if its a big deal or not but i need some advice thanks

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 16-Jul-11 13:07:59

print it all out and go to the police straight away

TuesdayMummy Sat 16-Jul-11 13:08:17

Call the police

Catslikehats Sat 16-Jul-11 13:09:32

Chances are he didn't hack your account.

Even if he did so what? What sort of pics are we talking here? Presumably ones that would be mildy embarassing but fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Email back once saying that you want nothing to with him and if the harassment continues you will contact the police. Then ignore.

If he continues talk to police.

Namechangerlicious Sat 16-Jul-11 13:09:50

Call the police. Also....you have changed your password right??

Hamburger11 Sat 16-Jul-11 13:12:58

yeah i did that straight away plus i dnt think he is frm the uk. i have totally ignored him so far but my husband is saying find out what he is saying but i think at this point watever he has i cant retrieve anyways.

Hamburger11 Sat 16-Jul-11 13:20:45

everytime i get a new msg my heart sinks

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 16-Jul-11 13:22:01

we are all saying go to the Police

HedleyLamarr Sat 16-Jul-11 13:35:37

Like the others say, print everything off and go to the police.

Xales Sat 16-Jul-11 13:39:02

The only thing this man has is control if you let him have that.

Can you not just as everyone else say tell him to bog off or you will go to the police or just block him and have done with it?

Chances are he will not bother but what will you seriously suffer if he does?

Catslikehats Sat 16-Jul-11 13:42:57

Don't get upset about it.

Just tell him to bugger off or go to the police.

Unless of course you are going to mention on p.4 of this thread that he is actually your OM and he has pics of you with your kit off. If that is the case just ignore.

thefirstMrsDeVere Sat 16-Jul-11 13:50:25

Sounds like a scam to me.
He doesnt know you and he doesnt even live in the country.

He is trying it on and is probably 12 years old.

It would be best to ignore him or get you OH to tell him you are calling the police.

AgentZigzag Sat 16-Jul-11 13:50:37

Keep on ignoring him and like other posters say go to the police straight away.

browneyesblue Sat 16-Jul-11 14:47:24

As the other posters have said - go straight to the police.

I had something similar happen a few years ago. I had checked my email at my friend's house, and her ex husband (separated for years - I had never even met him!) had a keystroke logger on her PC.

From that point on, he started going through my emails (to the point that he was deleting spam, moving stuff into the relevant folders, basically treating it as if it were his own account), changing info, posing as me on Facebook, sending out/accepting friend requests.

That was the scary bit for me - I don't use Facebook and he just hi-jacked my inactive account, so when I found out about this and checked I found that he had put all my personal info on 'my' FB account - address, phone number, email, date of birth. It felt menacing, as if he was trying to let me know how much info he had on me.

I went straight to the police. They were very helpful. Unfortunately, due to FB's complete unwillingness to help them investigate by handing over details of when my account had been accessed, and from which IP address, they couldn't prove it was my friend's ex. FB gave some pathetic reason about me not complying with the site's terms and conditions properly as I hadn't given my full details when I opened the account - basically, they didn't want to help, and the police said that they weren't suprised.

Having the police involved scared him off though, so in that respect it was a success. You may be surprised by how much the police can help and advise.

Has this person said anything to indicate that s/he actually has any personal information on you? It may be a really basic-level scam in that the scammer knows that an awful lot of people have personal info that they wouldn't want shared and/or embarrassing photographs of themselves and the scammer is just sending you scary emails to see if you will bite.
Do go to the police anyway, they will be able to advise, and if you know who is doing it, see the person off for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now