Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What would you do??

(277 Posts)
thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 15:58:33

I want to do some part time bar work, my OH doesn't want me to...do i take the job or consider his feelings??

TheOriginalFAB Sun 10-Jul-11 16:02:52

Depends why he doesn't want you to work.

itsohsoquiet Sun 10-Jul-11 16:17:08

For what reason doesn't he want you to do it? Has he said?

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:21:20

He doesn't want me working behind a bar because i will get chatted up and getting home late at night.It's only a couple of nights a week i personally don't think i am being unreasonable.

itsohsoquiet Sun 10-Jul-11 16:25:43

Then I would go for it. If you haven't given him reason to mistrust you then I don't see why you shouldn't.

buzzsore Sun 10-Jul-11 16:27:41

He should have a good think about why he feels threatened by you being chatted up by customers - if you're normally faithful and have no history of cheating on him, then he needs to get over it.

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:28:45

I haven't...i would never cheat on him. I am nothing but honest with him.I want to do it but Don't know if it's worth the aggro to be honest.

ThePopsicleKat Sun 10-Jul-11 16:30:42

FFS, how insecure is he? If you want this job, and there is no good reason why you couldn't do it (e.g. childcare issues), then go for it.

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:31:12

buzzsore - Never cheated on him,never would. He thinks someone is going to come along and pinch me[cofused].

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:31:26

confused

buzzsore Sun 10-Jul-11 16:32:58

Is he like this about other issues?

itsohsoquiet Sun 10-Jul-11 16:33:12

He needs to get over it and you need to stop tiptoeing around him

buzzsore Sun 10-Jul-11 16:33:58

You're not an inanimate object to be picked up at will. hmm

eslteacher Sun 10-Jul-11 16:36:02

Has he asked you nicely not to do it because it would make him uncomfortable and stressed out, or did this come as more of an angry "you shouldn't even be considering it" type order?

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:37:15

Buzzsore - yes i get a whole day of arguing if i want to out and he has to pick me up at the end.

itsohsoquiet- I'm not tiptoeing..i will admit i can't be bothered with the arguing or the silent treatment tho.

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:38:48

Riverboat - No he's not angry. He tells me he doesn't want me doing it and it does make him uncomfortable.

HedleyLamarr Sun 10-Jul-11 16:39:44

Reading your OP this song popped into my head. Macho Insecurity

buzzsore Sun 10-Jul-11 16:43:25

Ah. I suspect you have a bit of a controlling type there.

He makes it so much hassle to do anything you want to do that doesn't fit with what he wants you to do that you end up not doing it. Thus he gets his way and you soon learn not to bother going out.

I really think you need to take this job.

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:45:30

Buzzsore - I know you are right and i know that is what he thinks, he wont go out with anyone but me so i have no leg to stand on.

I do buzzsore,your right.

eslteacher Sun 10-Jul-11 16:45:37

He sounds very insecure. Are there any obvious reasons why he would be this way, ie cheated on by a girlfriend in the past? I'd say you need to try to talk together about his insecurity calmly and rationally and try to find ways to help him get past this. Be sympathetic, but firm and explain you won't let his insecurity control your life. If you decide to take the job, you could suggest he could pop into the bar for a drink occasionally if it might make him feel better and relax more about the situation.

BertieBotts Sun 10-Jul-11 16:47:04

He sounds controlling, agree totally.

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:49:20

Riverboat - Yes he has being cheated on, an ex cheated on him everytime she went out.i have never cheated on him. We have had a talk and he says he will change but he never does.
Yes but he will hit the roof if anyone looks at me funny and i get the argument for days after as it would be all my fault.

buzzsore Sun 10-Jul-11 16:51:18

That's quite worrying that he never goes out without you - does he have friends of his own? Does he think you & he shouldn't need anyone else? Does he want to be your world?

Do you get to see your friends/family on your own at all?

thesunshinesbrightly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:51:34

Hes currently giving me the cold shoulder as i told him i really want the job and i'm serious about taking it.

With all the hassle it's really not worth it.

BertieBotts Sun 10-Jul-11 16:52:11

Just because he's been cheated on in the past doesn't give him the right to treat you like this though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now