Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

No contact with my husband for 20 years

(14 Posts)
Hunkerbunker2 Sat 09-Jul-11 08:46:55

I have had no contact with my husband, except indirectly via solicitors, for over 20 years and divorce is out of the question as we are both Catholic.

I would really like to meet with him but I don't know how to start putting into words how I feel, especially to a third party (his solicitor).

oldenoughtowearpurple Sat 09-Jul-11 08:51:39

Ask your solicitors to forward a sealed letter to him. You don't have to tell them what's in it. They will forward it to his solicitors and they will pass it to him.

Or find him on facebook...

ImperialBlether Sat 09-Jul-11 09:53:40

I don't know many Catholics nowadays who disapprove of divorce to that extent. Most priests will carry out a blessing on second marriages. Are you obeying the letter of the law rather too much?

Aislingorla Sat 09-Jul-11 10:03:48

I know lots of divorced catholics! The majority of them in Ireland and some have married again in the c. church!

FabbyChic Sat 09-Jul-11 10:03:50

Not getting a divorce because of your faith is extreme. Things don't work like that anymore. I know many a Catholic who is divorced and has remarried.

Aislingorla Sat 09-Jul-11 10:14:25

Same with the so called 'no contraceptives ' rule. Most practicing catholics I know have 'only' two kids!

Wisedupwoman Sat 09-Jul-11 11:48:18

Why do you want to meet with him now, OP? Can you say more?

Hunkerbunker2 Wed 17-Aug-11 15:52:35

The person I thought might one day become my civil partner has moved out, moved on and moved away. So no need to think about divorcing my not-seen-for-20 years husband.

I went away for the weekend to an old girls reunion. When I got back she had moved out with just a 2 page letter on the table. Its "not my fault" plus all the other gubbins people write. The fact is she has gone.

upahill Wed 17-Aug-11 15:55:37

Hope you are OK Hunker.

paulapantsdown Wed 17-Aug-11 15:55:55

So your problem is with the partner who just moved out then, not with long gone husband?

Hunkerbunker2 Wed 17-Aug-11 15:59:16

I thought I might have to go down the divorce route to be part of a civil partnership. Despite all my reservations about doing so.

But now my prospective civil partner has done the proverbial bunk leaving me feeling like a spare part.

Cappster Wed 17-Aug-11 16:21:33

I don't know you. So. Tell me to go away.

But after your relationship has ended and you are feeling rather raw, is this the right time to get in contact? Should you give it 6 months till you're a bit stronger for dealing with anything else?

NanettaStocker Wed 17-Aug-11 16:28:14

@Cappster - Hunkerbunker2 originally asked the question in July, when she thought she would need to divorce her ex-husband to enter a civil partnership with a new person. She no longers needs to and was updating.

@Hunkerbunker2 - So sorry to hear about this, hope things go as well for you as they can.

Cappster Wed 17-Aug-11 16:29:57

See? I TOLD you I should be told to shut up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now