Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If you knew he'd take up another offer

(21 Posts)
Anansee Fri 08-Jul-11 22:59:05

If you knew or suspected that your partner would take up on interest from another woman given half the chance and probably wouldn't think twice about dumping you if that happened BUT was nice as pie and very lovey dovey when he saw you, what would you do?

wileycoyote Fri 08-Jul-11 23:05:10

What makes you think that Anansee?

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 08-Jul-11 23:05:55

If we're talking actual partner here, rather than just someone you're dating, I'd probably think seriously about what I was getting from the relationship and whether I wanted it to continue.

VioletV Fri 08-Jul-11 23:11:42

Knowing now what I know about my ex then I would jog the bellend on.

Anansee Fri 08-Jul-11 23:19:53

I can't explain this. I just have this image in my head that one day he's going to admit to having met someone else and says he thinks its best that we split. I don't know why, I guess because I kind of feel he only wants me because he doesn't as of yet, have anyone else and "im better than nothing" but he hasn't said this and has given me no reason to beleive he has met someone else. My head feels a mess right now.

Is there any foundation for your thoughts? You sound a little paranoid....

Anansee Fri 08-Jul-11 23:31:28

I know that is how it comes out. I sound like a low-on-confidence paranoid stalker but that isn't how it is. I just can't explain it. He has lied to me many times before and I have seen how easily it comes to him. I don't think he's ever had an affair whilst being with me but I once saw a conversation on facebook that he was keeping from me where he was BLATENTLY allowing it to lead into dangerous territory deliberately not mentioning my existance to this woman etc. and then we have split up twice before, both times it was obvious he couldn't really give a shit either way and then I found out he'd been knocked back by a woman he'd tried it on with and so he came back asking if we could get back together. I didn't know about the other woman when I agreed to give it another go but it shows that the intention to get with someone else was there. I also spoke to his wife once who let it slip that he'd struck up a very close friendship with a neighbour and began spending tons of time at her house and even taking her out for days etc and it was only when they split up that he admitted he liked the neighbour more than friends so given half the chance, he would surely have cheated there on his wife?

Ok so there is foundation. Tbh he sounds like an arse. Men who lie don't change, it is either in their nature or not.

Anansee Fri 08-Jul-11 23:37:55

but as far as I know he hasn't lied to me for ages. My friend always said a person never changes, they just get better at hiding stuff and that saying keeps coming up in my head and its turning me into a complete nutcase. I'm looking for evidence that just isn't there because my subconcience is telling me "keep looking, he'll slip up sooner or later" but i don't want to live like this. One time he was popping into an office and I was waiting in the car and we were listening to music on his phone. I asked "could you leave the phone so I can listen to the music while you're in there?" and he answered very quickly "no" and he wouldn't leave it. Why would you act like that if you had nothing to hide?

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 08-Jul-11 23:39:30

Anansee, this (and your other thread) seem to show that you're really not very happy about this whole situation.

To be brutal, it sounds as if your DP may be what I think of as trader-upper (for want of a better term). I've had a few of these. They're with someone rather fabulous but they're always casting around for the next/different one (rather like trading your car in every few years). I challenged one about this once and he said it was about the "new-ness" of the replacement model.

I hope I'm wrong though... He may just like the attention?

Anansee Fri 08-Jul-11 23:45:21

I get the impression that he's lazy and can't be arsed to look for another woman so he's sticking with me until that better woman presents herself to him.

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 08-Jul-11 23:49:34

Ouch! Is that because of how you feel about yourself or how you really believe he is? Hard to explain the difference there. I suppose I'm asking you if this is about you or him.

Do you want him?

buzzsore Fri 08-Jul-11 23:49:51

You sound very unhappy. Perhaps you should think about whether this relationship is right for you, whether he's cheating/lying or not. It sounds like he lost your trust a long time ago and if you don't believe he's with you for love but for convenience, then that is crushing to your self-esteem. Is this relationship worth it?

Anansee Fri 08-Jul-11 23:55:35

thats the problem, I'll never know if he's lying or not because I just don't trust him anymore and no matter how many times he proves to me he's telling the truth, I'll just disbelieve him on something else.
I honestly believe that's how it is Belle because for the brief period we did split up he made a move on one woman, she blew him off and so he tried a dating site, got rejected many times on that and so came back to me. Now I know (or strongly believe) that is another woman he liked showed an interest he wouldn't think twice. He's very low on confidence and doesn't go out or talk to other people easily so its much easier for him to stick with me iyswim?
I think I've just had enough to be honest. He hasn't done anything wrong though which is what is making all this so confusing. He hasn't done anything, he's been nice as pie to me since we got back together. I just can't help thinking its all superficial.

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 08-Jul-11 23:58:44

Hmmm... He might not have done anything wrong (well, nothing that you can evidence) but he hasn't made you feel loved and cherished else you wouldn't be feeling like this. If you're not happy and you can't see a future with this man, then I guess you have your answer.

Well, you say he's been sniffing around previously. He doesn't sound all that deeply committed to you. ANd you sound like someone who wants a deep level of commitment.
There are no absolute guarantees in relationships, but if you need an absolute commitment to feel happy and secure, then this man is not the right partner for you, because he is Just Not That sufficiently Into You.

ImperialBlether Sat 09-Jul-11 10:02:20

Is this a man you have commitments with, ie children and a home?

You can't live like this, you know. Trust your instincts.

ImperialBlether Sat 09-Jul-11 10:20:10

One thing, if you dump him you will immediately be more attractive to him.

HerHissyness Sat 09-Jul-11 22:33:01

He is at the very least playing you.

he is also perhaps doing whatever these creatures do to get you on the hook so he can bring you down, manipulate and ultimately destroy your self esteem.

Whatever the FF he IS playing at, it really doesn't matter in the end.

He is NOT that into you.

YOU deserve more than this.

Why are you sticking with this waste of space? he will hurt you mentally and possibly physically.

ShoutyHamster Sun 10-Jul-11 09:35:40

I think you've answered all your own questions.

Your instincts are saying he's not to be trusted, and he won't give you what you want. Always listen to those instincts!

Why don't you start thinking of this from the other way around? He's the one who isn't coming up to scratch for you, my dear!!

There you go - that's what someone whose confidence is where it should be would think. So think that way!

'I think I've just had enough to be honest. He hasn't done anything wrong though which is what is making all this so confusing.' - that's what you, with a leetle bit of a battered confidence by the look of it, is saying.

He doesn't have to have done anything wrong (though the facebook stuff sounds as if it fits the bill for me!!) - you've just had enough. That's fine and sensible. He isn't what you want. You are wasting your very precious time with him.

Dump (nicely) and move on wink

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Sun 10-Jul-11 09:52:21

This is all a bit Boxroom...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now