Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How long does the honeymoon period last?

(16 Posts)
BertieBotts Thu 30-Jun-11 09:58:54

Or, how do you know when it's over?

Pantene Thu 30-Jun-11 09:59:34

about 48 hours grin

keynesian Thu 30-Jun-11 10:12:24

It lasts indefinitely so long as you are still both making an effort to please and respect each other.

BertieBotts Thu 30-Jun-11 10:13:52

That's nice to know keynesian smile

I was more meaning the one which obscures the making of sensible decisions. Or is that just a myth? I'm so confused.

Pantene grin

ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Thu 30-Jun-11 10:16:06

It lasts minutes, days, weeks, months, sometimes years.

You know it's over when you feel queasy about an interaction even if you don't really know why.

Mordred Thu 30-Jun-11 10:20:00

You know it's over when you feel queasy about an interaction even if you don't really know why.

And even then, it can be recoverable.

Mordred Thu 30-Jun-11 10:20:30

And what keynesian said.

keynesian Thu 30-Jun-11 10:21:25

Ah... well I've never let my heart take precedence over well reasoned, informed, researched and sensible decisions... smile

startail Thu 30-Jun-11 10:22:38

It lasts until you have children then you need to apply Key's excellent advice a bit more consciously!

GrownUpNow Thu 30-Jun-11 10:23:50

Mine tends to last about six months. Then is when I know whether it's a true relationship or destined to fail.

TheAtomicBum Thu 30-Jun-11 10:26:28

I thought the honeymoon period was where you can't keep your hands off eachother? You will be overly romantic, buy stupidley expensive gitfs and repeatedley tell your partner that they are the most amazing person in the world, and no one else is important or could possibly compare in either beauty, intellect or personality to your wonderful wonderful new partner?

Well, it's been 6 years now...

Actually, about 6 months to a year that lasted, but every now and then we have little bursts of it for a couple of weeks.

LeQueen Thu 30-Jun-11 15:55:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

superv1xen Thu 30-Jun-11 16:00:41

awww lequeen i'm the same with DH.

3 1/2 years in, 6 months married, so not quite as long as you. but we are the same as you describe grin

i honestly think, if you are with the RIGHT person, and both make an effort to keep the mystery and magic alive ( <cringe> but true) it never goes away.

everyone else i have been out with, after the 6 month mark, thats it, gone, and i have totally lost interest.

BertieBotts Thu 30-Jun-11 17:00:35

It's not so much that I let my heart take precedence, but that well reasoned, informed and sensible decisions tend to be subjective and I don't quite trust myself having made major mistakes in the past. I can't really afford to make the wrong decision because I have DS so I don't want to end up with him getting hurt.

ilovedora27 Fri 01-Jul-11 07:19:42

I dont believe in the honeymoon period you should have those same feelings inside and they should be as powerful forever imo. I agree with Lequeen. We knew we would be together for the rest of our lives after 2 weeks, engaged after 10 weeks and married after year and a half. Its nearly our 7 year wedding anniversary. Love isnt rational but when you meet the right one you will know pretty much straight away ime.

CareyFakes Fri 01-Jul-11 08:35:51

Mine lasts all of 3 weeks, then I grow bored. I suck at relationships and run from commitment.

Nice posts though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now