Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do you make of the ridiculous exchange I have just had with dh?

(24 Posts)
shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:28:01

Hi

brief overview of conversation that has just taken place between (d)h and I: advert for that anti fungus product (is it curanail?) comes on the TV and dh starts making sarcastic sounding noises of how I shouldn't buy it, so I say well I wouldn't since I don't have any fungus.... He says he does but makes some crack about it being in his head.... He then says again, DON'T buy it, so I get kind of annoyed and say what is he saying, is he actually asking me to buy it and where is it that he has fungus?. He looks at me with contempt and says "it's alright, I'll get you your broom"... (I think this is some allusion to me being a witch) and probably something else unkind but can't remember, at which point I tell him to keep his madness to himself and if there is a product he wants he should go and buy it himself.

All very depressing sad.

Does it sound like we are both bonkers? Sorry for lack of context but wanted opinions on the conversation itself and wondering if the way I am feeling about it is "valid" iykwim.

Thank you smile.

shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:28:55

Didn't mean to post this twice!!!

KatieMiddleton Wed 29-Jun-11 23:29:56

Yeah you both sound bonkers. Sorry. Why do you speak to each other in such a confrontational way? It must be very trying.

shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:31:50

Well, to be fair to myself, I became confrontational once he had said he would get me my broom, before that he was impossible to understand, telling me several times not to buy something without any explanation as to what he really meant / wanted.

OneHundredPercentFucked Wed 29-Jun-11 23:33:03

confused

shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:33:55

Yes, I agree grin!!!!

KatieMiddleton Wed 29-Jun-11 23:34:12

Had you both been drinking? Not exactly a normal exchange ime.

BertieBotts Wed 29-Jun-11 23:35:55

I'm finding it hard to follow. Did the conversation go like this?

<advert on TV>
DH: Don't buy that
Sh2: Well I wouldn't, would I? I don't have any fungus.
DH: I do, but maybe it's all in my head?
DH: DON'T buy it.
Sh2: What are you talking about? Are you asking me to buy it? Where is this fungus anyway?
DH: It's alright, I'll get you your broom. <something else unkind>

If so he sounds mad, as in, he is making no sense whatsoever - was he drunk? You sound confused, but if someone was talking to me like that I would be too. Do you often have conversations like this?

shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:36:35

no - no drinking - probably both very tired after a long day, and probably both got cabin fever with each other..... probably really need a long spell apart but with three kids this is impossible

aurynne Wed 29-Jun-11 23:36:39

Erm... is your name Alice and his The Mad Hatter?

tethersend Wed 29-Jun-11 23:38:04

There's no place like home
<bangs heels together furiously>

shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:38:27

hi bertiebotts, yes I was confused and put on the back foot, or so it felt - conversations like that with him do happen occasionally, probably a little more so in the past but still very occasionally now - like your screenplay of our conversation by the way!

shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:39:47

sorry, missed "alice in wonderland" and "wizard of oz" references grin

kalo12 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:46:42

ask him 'do you have a nail fungus?' yes or no? right, now shut up then you tiresome moron'

shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:49:10

the word "moron" does occasionally spring to mind - I think he likes to control my mood and being enigmaticmad / sarcastic and rude is bound to do that

maras2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:49:24

Half way to Friday then you can argue about more important stuff such as bum sex.

sundayrose10 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:49:31

Well I have been drinking tonight so will use that excuse for not understanding this thread. Gosh I feel sickly.

shocked2 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:52:32

Pretty hard for me to understand it too sundayrose so don't worry! Hope you feel better soon. The thing about dh and I, maras2, is that we never ever discuss anything about "us".... it's all practical arrangements and conversations about the kids and that's it!!! Agree above argument not important though.

Thanks all, feel better....

Anniegetyourgun Thu 30-Jun-11 10:08:09

Gosh, that sounds depressingly like far too many conversations with XH. It drove me mad, mad I tell you, MAAAAAAD...

But I'm much better now.

FaultyGoods Thu 30-Jun-11 10:14:43

confused It sounds to me like he is trying to hint (badly) that you have strange nails, hence the reference to being a witch (with knarly nails)? It all sounds a bit bizarre. Suggest you say to him, 'Do you have nail fungus?' If not, 'Are you saying that I have nail fungus?'.

Maybe, he'll start speaking in plain English then. grin

BooyHoo Thu 30-Jun-11 10:17:33

i think we need teh context TBH. otherwise it all sounds about as daft as that broom he's off to get you.

Aislingorla Thu 30-Jun-11 10:56:04

I know there's probably something very serious going on behind it but I found that 'conversation' very funny. Sorry!

BettySpaghettiOnAJetty Thu 30-Jun-11 14:44:40

My dh speaks like this on the odd occasion that he has had a drink and things are a bit ropey between us. It's his pathetic way of winding me up. He comes from a family of extremely crap communicators. His father is the same. Talks in riddles then refuses to explain himself. Extremely childish behaviour. Ignore or tell off with a wagging finger, like an adult telling off a child, is the way I handle it.

LeQueen Thu 30-Jun-11 15:07:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now