Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you consider your dh/partner to be your best friend?

(56 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Wed 29-Jun-11 17:58:22

Sometimes I feel a bit weird that I do. Apart from my mum he is the only person I know who doesn't get on my nerves after a while.

I have female friends - coffee, lunches, nights out - but no one that I could say oh my best friend is x,y,z

Is this weird? Is your oh your best friend or am I in a minority?

Just curious

Tortington Wed 29-Jun-11 18:00:43

no, hes my husband which in itself as a title carries all the weight it needs to. he would do almost anything for me and is a kind generous person who more than occasionally pisses me off. he would die for me, but not turn off his computer for me.

a best friend i think is someone who is not your life partner but who woudl do anything for you - anything

Empusa Wed 29-Jun-11 18:00:46

He's definitely my best friend. I couldn't have married him otherwise.

starmucks Wed 29-Jun-11 18:02:41

Absolutely, it's us against the world!

Indigojohn Wed 29-Jun-11 18:03:43

Yes. He is absolutely my best friend and I'm his.

Yama Wed 29-Jun-11 18:03:57

Yes, definitely.

LeQueen Wed 29-Jun-11 18:04:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Karbea Wed 29-Jun-11 18:09:23

I have lost of really good friends, but dh is definitely my best friend.

motherinferior Wed 29-Jun-11 18:10:34

Good god no. Totally different relationship. Friendship is far too important to confuse with one's partner!

usualsuspect Wed 29-Jun-11 18:11:57

No hes not

TheGashlycrumbTinies Wed 29-Jun-11 18:12:13

Absolutely, and there could be no other. smile

motherinferior Wed 29-Jun-11 18:13:21

Of the three blokes I've lived with, Mr Inferior is definitely the nicest. But friendship is different.

Moodykat Wed 29-Jun-11 18:14:59

Yes. DH is definitely my best friend. The other day he went somewhere he had been wanting to go for ages and I stayed at home with DS, when I asked if he enjoyed it, he said "hmm, you weren't there to talk to about things" which really touched me and I think it's that feeling that makes our marriage.
I do have a girl best friend too though.

BuggerAllTheBestNamesAreTaken Wed 29-Jun-11 18:15:30

He certainly is my best friend, I have friends but DH is my best friend I tell him everything.

mumblechum1 Wed 29-Jun-11 18:17:49

Yes, he's my best friend. He puts me first and I put him first. We live in a revolving door.

Am a bit sad that although I have a lot of friends, because I've moved around a lot I don't really have an absolute best friend these days.

I have a good few "lets go and get pissed together" friends though.

mumblechum1 Wed 29-Jun-11 18:18:45

DH told me the other day that I'm the only one he can talk to about anything other than work or trivia.

fanofpeamum Wed 29-Jun-11 18:21:15

Yes. Doesn't mean there aren't things I'm far more likely to do/talk about with other people. But yes. Am very grateful.

SinicalSal Wed 29-Jun-11 18:22:10

Yes, definitely.

bigTillyMint Wed 29-Jun-11 18:23:16

Noooooo!

I have a best friend, but it isn't him!

Rosmarin Wed 29-Jun-11 18:24:50

Mine is and I like it that way. smile Can't imagine not being best friends with a partner - I'd always choose him over anyone else to do anything with because we have so much fun and have similar approaches/tastes/outlooks so time spent is always brilliant.

That said, we haven't been together that long so I don't have the hindsight of a long marriage/union! Let's see in 20 years... grin

usualsuspect Wed 29-Jun-11 18:26:11

I can't imagine anything worse than doing everything with my DP

Indigojohn Wed 29-Jun-11 18:31:11

You don;t have to do everything together to be best friends, surely? hmm

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 29-Jun-11 18:33:06

I think he's kind of my best friend.

But I don't like that "Today I marry my best friend" stuff. Each to their own and that, but I have never actually wanted to shag my best friends.

mumblechum1 Wed 29-Jun-11 18:33:16

Yes, of course you need to have other friends who you see by yourself.

LeQueen Wed 29-Jun-11 18:51:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now