Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mess of relationship, career, finances

(4 Posts)
Stupidgirl101 Tue 28-Jun-11 08:29:26

How could I have been so stupid.

I gave up a really good career to look after dd and now I won't be able to re enter profession because I've been out of it for too long (3yrs). I adore my dd but sometimes I get so bored with the monotony that is playgroup, mumsgroup etc etc.
To make matters worse DH and I aren't getting along terribly well. He's mega stressed at work and has a lot on his plate.
We live in an expensive house and having previously had joint income of (100k) we didn't need to worry about money but now things are tougher on one salary. We're not extravagant by any means.

Anyway I just can't believe how stupid I've been to give up career and rely on DH. Feel so sad that everything is falling apart.
I wouldn't/couldn't leave DH as I do love him and don't want to break up family.
We have no family support so that makes things hard too.

OhWesternWind Tue 28-Jun-11 08:33:22

Is three years really too long? I don't know what sector you are in, but could you do some training courses to get you up to speed with changes over the time you have been away?

Sorry things aren't going well with you and your dh. It is never easy with young children and it sounds like you have financial worries instead.

I am currently in a position, for different reasons, where I am going to let out my house for a sum which will more than pay my mortgage, and rent a cheaper property. Would something like this work for you?

Good luck to all of you.

holyShmoley Tue 28-Jun-11 08:34:06

surely there is a re-registration mechanism, maybe a period of retraining?

Snuppeline Tue 28-Jun-11 08:40:15

Being completely out of a career after only three years sounds insane. Were you a brain surgeon and things have moved on massively?? I am sure there are ways back in and even if it truly isn't I am sure you can get other, partially relevant work using your experience. The early years of parenthood are very hard indeed on a relationship, throw finances into the mix...well its not a recepie for happiness! Anyway, your dd is 3 which means she's entitled to 15 hours free pre-school/nursery time which means you've only got to find a job that pays for the remaining 25 hours if you want to work fulltime and chances are you'll have a bit to spare too, boosing your confidence and family income. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now