Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When do you tell potential dates you have children?

(6 Posts)
dumdedoodah Mon 27-Jun-11 15:13:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsravelstein Mon 27-Jun-11 15:16:49

no, just tell him in conversation as it comes up naturally when you meet him. i was a single mum for a few years between exh and dh, and it was never a problem. a couple of blokes after a few dates, at the point where you sort of decide whether you're going forward or not, said that they were uncomfortable about the longer term implications of going out with somebody with a child, and that was fine, better to know sooner rather than later. dh told me recently he'd always thought he wouldn't want to be with someone who already had children, but then he met me and changed his mind... so really don't worry about it. it's almost quite a good way of weeding out the no hopers.

dumdedoodah Mon 27-Jun-11 15:19:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsravelstein Mon 27-Jun-11 16:07:38

good luck, hope it goes well!

eslteacher Mon 27-Jun-11 16:46:20

I don't think you are obliged to tell him beforehand, and agree you should just let it come naturally into conversation. My DP didn't tell me about his child until our second date, and I didn't feel like I had been deceived or anything. Incidentally I already knew about the child having read back through DP's facebook profile and found a few mentions of him in various statuses, but my DP wasn't aware of that!

Good luck on your date :-)

anothermum92 Mon 27-Jun-11 17:33:21

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now