Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would you be bothered if your DP bought you and engagement ring from -

(52 Posts)
Lorenz Sat 25-Jun-11 18:28:53

the sale and specifically that one BECAUSE it was in the sale?

Desiderata Sat 25-Jun-11 18:30:16

I wouldn't be bothered at all.

It would proved that your man has a grasp on finances.

It is only a symbol, after all.

PippiLongBottom Sat 25-Jun-11 18:30:30

Not if I liked it, no.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sat 25-Jun-11 18:30:33

no, it wouldn't bother me.

don't confuse money with love, they're two different things

PotteringAlong Sat 25-Jun-11 18:30:42

No. I'd be pleased he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me and know that the ring didn't really matter...

DontGoCurly Sat 25-Jun-11 18:31:25

As long as it's not Argos I wouldn't give a shite!

said Sat 25-Jun-11 18:33:18

Why would you care? I'd be more worried if he just bought one out of the blue from anywhere.

meditrina Sat 25-Jun-11 18:33:36

No - as long as I liked what it looked like.

More bling for your buck? Not a problem.

trixymalixy Sat 25-Jun-11 18:34:14

Not if I liked it.

Icelollycraving Sat 25-Jun-11 18:35:11

If I liked it,that would be fine. Will you choose it together or is this a ring he has bought alone?

Bandwitch Sat 25-Jun-11 18:35:34

It would depend on a lot of things, if he was a really nice guy but absolutely broke then obviously not a sign of his generosity or where you lie in his list of priorities, so all about his attitude to spending money generally.

I used to live with a man who had a 30k car, 2 motorbikes worth 8k together. I felt like he should have been prepared to spend as much on a ring for me as he spent on the cheapest motorbike, but he wasn't. He didn't value me and I should have processed that before. The ring thing crystalised it though. He was very mean generally though. Very generous to himself though.

A generous man wouldn't buy the cheapest one in the sale. He'd ask you which one you wanted and he'd want to get you that one IF he could.

Fluffeh Sat 25-Jun-11 18:35:48

Maybe, it depends on the reasons for him buying it in the sale. If it was because he knew I'd love it and it was on offer that'd be fine but if it was simply to save money I'd be a bit hmm

FessaEst Sat 25-Jun-11 18:36:06

No, not at all.

DH bought my engagement ring from a high street jeweller, and had to give me the receipt for me to change the size. I therefore found out that it didn't cost v much and had no precious stone in it etc. Whilst I occasionally tease him about it now, (I don't panic when I've lost it for eg!) I would have been horrified if he had spent really hard-earned and saved cash on something so unimportant when we were saving for a house/wedding/life together.

He has more recently offered to buy me a more expensive eternity ring, and while we are in a much better financial situation, we have a young family and it seems ludicrous to spend large sums on jewellery tbh.

thingsabeachanging Sat 25-Jun-11 18:36:40

Nope mine is from h samuel was half price in the sale. I chose it and I love it! Its the style I wanted and it being in the sale meant I could get a bigger rock than we could normally reasonably afford.

Macaroona Sat 25-Jun-11 18:37:52

My DH is a total cheapskate man who doesn't like to be ripped off, and spent ages researching rings and diamonds.

He bid on a ring from Bonhams, had the diamond reset in a white gold setting. Saved more than 50% on what a similar diamond ring would cost at a high st jewellers.

I thought it was romantic - he wanted to get me the very best ring he could afford smile

MrsRhettButler Sat 25-Jun-11 18:38:32

I wouldn't mind about the cost but I would mind that he chose it because of that.

He should choose one because he knows it is a style I Like or he would like on me

ohboob Sat 25-Jun-11 18:39:10

I would prefer one from the sale tbh, because there's no point spending hundreds or thousands more if it isn't necessary. As long as the remainder went on a really amazing trip with me. wink As long as you like it and there is love behind it, who cares.

NettoSuperstar Sat 25-Jun-11 18:39:13

I don't have a DP, but if he could afford better, and knew I'd like a different one, then yes.
If he knew I'd love the sale one, then no.

I got engaged 12 years ago, and had always wanted a particular type of ring. DP bought me what I wanted.

Mind you, it meant nothing as he turned out to be a twat, but at least I got the gorgeous ringgrin

fuckmepinkandCALLmegoran Sat 25-Jun-11 18:39:52

nope. my ring is my dp's grandmothers ring tiny tiny stones but means the world to me.

HawthornLantern Sat 25-Jun-11 19:18:00

Not enough information - but I think Bandwitch sums it up really well. Is your DP usually generous? Or is he generous only to himself? (There have been horrific experiences on MN of men who are happy to clothe themselves in Armani but let their partners and children walk around in the next best thing to rags). That would be something to look out for.

If your DP is happy to indulge himself and when it comes to you has gone for the cheapest available option and hasn't even consulted with you to see what your preferences are for the type of ring that you like, then yes, I'd be concerned. It would not be showing any form of care or consideration and I'd worry about how my feelings would be taken into account in the future, whether our views on financial management were at all compatible, etc etc.

But a a cheap ring of itself is not a sign of a problem. Your DP may be broke. He may be a bit thoughtless but not actually mean. If given and chosen with love, a curtain ring can be perfect. It really all depends on context and we don't know yours. Afterall, the shop he bought the sale ring in might have been Tiffany and Breakfast at Tiffany's might be your favourite film.....

needadvice10 Sat 25-Jun-11 21:33:32

no, not at all (should maybe mention that my hopefully soon-to-be-ex never gets me anything anyways - not even birthday presents).

Gay40 Sun 26-Jun-11 19:58:00

It wouldn't bother me, but it would depend on the context of everything else. Fortunately DP and I of the same mind - strike a balance between the cost of the thing you want, and how much losing it would upset you.
Neither of us could justify spending thousands on a ring, though.

MavisEnderby Sun 26-Jun-11 20:02:03

Not at all.When dp was alive I got a very "bog standard" engagement ring.He was skint at the time.It is really just a symbol!!BTW since he died it is probably my most treasured material possession and I always wear it,because,like I say it is a symbol.Despite its lack of monetary value I would be devastated if I ever lost it.

Kendodd Sun 26-Jun-11 20:03:23

Why don't you turn this on its head, should he be worried, if it bothered you where he got and how much he paid for the ring?

crimsonchina Sun 26-Jun-11 20:04:47

Christ no
i wouldn't care if it was from Argos either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now