Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

dp bad with money

(5 Posts)
bubaluchy Thu 23-Jun-11 18:36:07

I am a bit rubbish with money too but I haven't got any credit cards or loans and I can always pay for my car/rent/ direct debits without any problems.

But tonight DP has asked to use my car to go to the gym, I am on the red line and could really do with that fuel to get me to work and back tomorrow.

He is a teacher in a high school and I am a nanny and a part time college student, he doesn't open bills, doesn't care about chipping away at his debts and I'm the one lending him money when he earns 5 times what I do!
I just hate feeling stingy but I simply don't have the money and I see the gym as a luxury not a necessity.

It worries me because currently our finances don't collide we both rent a room each in a communal house but he wants to rent a house outside and I'm worried this burying his head in the sand attitude he has is going to cause arguments between us.

He hates teaching and handed his notice in over a month ago and hasn't even applied for a job yet it really annoys me that he is so unfocussed and lacklustre.

any advice welcomed smile

TimeWasting Thu 23-Jun-11 18:39:08

If he'll fill the tank then let him. Might be a nice little test actually. Sounds like you need something to break the silence on the subject of finances.

Does he pay you back?

neuroticmumof3 Thu 23-Jun-11 18:42:07

I don't think you should put yourself in a situation where your finances are entwined, he sounds completely irresponsible tbh.

bubaluchy Thu 23-Jun-11 22:06:03

Thanks, I feel bad now he just came home from the gym having voluntarily put a tenner in my tank and bought back a kit kat chunky for me blush
thanks for your comments though we do need to discuss this.

TimeWasting Thu 23-Jun-11 22:45:21

Well, that's good to hear.

Please don't move in with him til you're sure he's got his head round finances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now