Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

So...ideas for getting your power back

(8 Posts)
Trestired Thu 23-Jun-11 10:19:30

Hello...just loking for some ideas.

So, you've been on maternity leave. You've been responsible for running the house, bringing up the baby.It isn't a life of glamour. Looking good is a bit of an effort. You feel like your OH has all the power...the upper hand. How do you get your power back?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Jun-11 10:22:38

Why would your DH have all the power? Sorry, I just don't understand your question.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Thu 23-Jun-11 10:24:14

I think if you relinquish it when you're on maternity leave you're fucked, basically.

Wish I'd known then what I know now sad

All you women who haven't had maternity leave yet i've got a tip for you

maternity leave is for looking after your baby - not for doing your partners share of the unpaid work just because you're at home

once you start doing it, it never goes back to how it was before, men like it too much, so just don't do it in the first place.

keynesian Thu 23-Jun-11 10:25:38

I don't see relationships as being about power. A relatonship should be about support... and the balance and levels of the giving and taking of that support (emotional, financial, practical, intellectual) will fluctuate depending on circumstances prevailing.

Trestired Thu 23-Jun-11 10:38:17

Well I know that relationships shouldn't be about poweretc but whilst on maternity, i do housework, sometimes find it difficult to go out etc... Having a child hasn't impacted the same way on other half. Was just trying to think of ideas to show I'm still brilliant...not just a boring HW..mother...cleaner.

JeffTracy Thu 23-Jun-11 10:41:48

There is usually a beige box in the cupboard under the stairs - that is often where the problem is.

HTH

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Jun-11 10:53:14

(grin0 at Jeff, think thats where the only power is in our house.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Jun-11 10:53:45

That should have been grin obviously blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now