Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anybody read 'the dark side of the light chasers'?

(6 Posts)
hobbgoblin Wed 22-Jun-11 21:16:55

I'm just starting on this And it is helping enormously.

HerHissyness Thu 23-Jun-11 00:38:12

what's it about? #intrigued

garlicnutter Thu 23-Jun-11 01:23:03

No, but have done shadow work - and have just ordered some more books on it, so thanks for the reminder!

(Thanks from my inner critic, too. I've been trying to ignore it but, actually, it's giving me sound advice smile )

Aislingorla Thu 23-Jun-11 08:58:05

Tell us more?

hobbgoblin Thu 23-Jun-11 09:44:55

grin garlicnutter

Well, as I say, I've just begun reading but it is about learning to accept the sides of ourselves that we not only don't like but often don't acknowledge.

So, I might think I am really patient (I do actually!) and be irritated by impatient people. This indicates that I am perhaps embarrassed about the fact that I too am impatient and that also I draw myself towards impatient people as a sort of catharsis for my own banishing of that aspect of me.

It's a simple idea but complex to explain.

The author says we all have the world in us and thus every human emotion and the capability to be any of the people we may judge or despise, from killers to rapists is in us. If we accept that then we are not affected by the way people are so much.

She also says there is a flip side to every negative which turns it into a positive. What does an impatient person person possess - the ability to get things happening perhaps?

Apparently, once we own the trait we perceive as negative we can benefit from its advantages by moderating that aspect of ourselves rather than denying it.

Aislingorla Thu 23-Jun-11 10:28:43

Thanks Hobbgoblin, going to get it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now