Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When you open your mouth and say something then...

(8 Posts)
BrigitBigKnickers Sun 19-Jun-11 16:29:20

...a millisecond later you realise you have said something unfeeling insensitive and quite frankly horrid- totally unnecessarily... sad

Had a little family party for my DDs birthday this afternoon.

We were talking about my piano which has been recently buggered up by someone totally unqualified to have "fixed" it (my pride and joy- sounds pathetic I know but it was 100 years old and belonged to my my grandmother.)

My dad had had the same guy to work on his piano and had been happy with the work he had done. He asked me if I liked the sound of his piano and I said "No- I have never liked it." <cringe>

I don't know what made me say it- I really don't. I am known for being quite blunt- my dad knows what I am like and didn't seem to take offence (not the type to be easily offended).

I know I should have just smiled and lied. I think subconsciously I blame my dad for having recommended this guy who has destroyed my most treasured posession. I feel horrid- my dad is lovely.

I am sure my family/ DHs family all think I am a crappy horrible person and they are right.

Don't want sympathy.

Just needed to write it down.

Thankyou for listening.

HerHissyness Sun 19-Jun-11 16:38:26

Sounds like the same guy that tuned your dad's piano has wrecked yours, to me that sounds like you are justified. You didn't insult your dad, you insulted the sound his piano made at the hands of a person who has buggered up yours.

Can someone else fix it?

maras2 Sun 19-Jun-11 16:38:32

Yep. I do that but only if I've been drinking a lot of vodka.You are not horrible, everyone has an inner Tourettes evil twin as discussed on here last night.Don't be so hard on yourself but one persons's being blunt is another's being out of order.

buzzsore Sun 19-Jun-11 16:45:04

Bit unfortunate on Father's Day as well.

I should say sorry.

BrigitBigKnickers Sun 19-Jun-11 16:53:43

The piano will never sound exactly the same again and although nowhere near perfect, I liked the way it sounded.

I have had a quote for replacing the hammers (and to be fair it is a very old piano and would have needed doing at some point) which I can afford but no guarantee I will like the sound it makes- the strings need replacing too.

The piano technician said it is not financially viable to have all the work done as I could get a new piano for the same price but this is my Granny's piano which I love- it has a beautiful solid oak case which matches all my other equally beautiful furniture (also my granny's) I could never replace it.

Thye tourettes suggestion is so on the nail- that's exactly what I am like sometimes. I really hate myself for it. Not drunk- had only had half a glass of wine at the time. sad

-

BrigitBigKnickers Sun 19-Jun-11 16:56:58

Actually- my dad is a little strange about father's day.

He doesn't "believe in it"! Says it was invented by clinton cards as a money making scam!

Neither me or my sister have ever bought him a father's day card or present. Just buy him a bigger birthday present as he says that is the real father's day for him.

MilkandWine Mon 20-Jun-11 00:03:07

Brigit I feel your pain. Once in a group of ladies down the pub discussing names we didn't like, and I went "I can't stand the name Natalie"

Yes you guessed it, one of the ladies was called Natalie.

Try coming back from that one, basically you can't. I though I was going to have to break my cider glass and slit my throat!

Sorry about your piano, I would be peed off as well if I were you.

*Apologies to any Natalies as well btw, no offence intended*

Anniegetyourgun Mon 20-Jun-11 11:47:33

Story of my life, mate, story of my life. Sometimes I come out with things I don't even mean. "I've always said that..." when I've never said it before, or like the Natalie example above, say I don't like something when I've probably not really given it any thought. It's as though some evil spirit prompts me to say exactly the wrong thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now