Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Ex Holding Passports, need help from school

(13 Posts)
runragged Fri 17-Jun-11 06:14:32


Does anyone know the position a school can take. My ex and I have been through a very nasty divorce. However he does see the children regularly and one day a week collects them from school.

His personal life is spiralling out out control with his new dp and her son, he is being very unreasonable, his business is in trouble and he is saying the most awful things to my children to the point where I really think he may be losing it - and I don't mean that unkindly.

I asked the school to only allow the children to leave with him as per our official arrangement and to let me know if he collects them early on other days etc, but their response was that they can't get involved.

Is this right? I am the parent with care, I am worried about my children, the school must be able to liase with me on some level? He is refusing to return their passports and I know he can't leave the country without my permission but ...

What can I ask the school do do, within reason?

Thank you

chris123456 Fri 17-Jun-11 07:16:29

Don't get involved in the arrangements on days when it is your children's father day to collect from school. However you may view his life, if it is agreed that he collects one day a week then respect that.

blackeyedsusan Fri 17-Jun-11 07:26:37

if he is on the birth certificate /has parental responsibility there is niothing they can do to stop him. see a solicitor if you think he is likely to harm the children/do a runner and get residence. (at least try)

OddBoots Fri 17-Jun-11 07:26:51

The school cannot prevent someone with parental responsibility collecting their own child whatever time of day, that would be kidnapping. Most schools would give a courtesy call the other parent if asked to do so if a child is collected outside of the normal collection time though.

If you are concerned for the safety then the courts are the way to go.

topazmcgonagall Fri 17-Jun-11 07:36:13

If you really think you've got cause to worry reunite has information about how to make an application to the court for a prohibited steps order to prevent the child being taken out of the country.

sabine Fri 17-Jun-11 07:39:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bucharest Fri 17-Jun-11 07:41:09

What the UKBA says about passports.

sabine Fri 17-Jun-11 07:42:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

runragged Fri 17-Jun-11 11:23:03

Thank you everyone, such reasonable responses. I cannot believe that it has come to this, at the end of the day all I want to know is where my children are and if I think they are in school and they are not then I should be told. He has PR but I am the parent with care - you think it would stand for something.

sabine Fri 17-Jun-11 20:00:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sabine Fri 17-Jun-11 20:00:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

veritythebrave Fri 17-Jun-11 20:47:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

runragged Fri 17-Jun-11 21:00:29

The PWC issue was established during the divorce and the contact has been agreed with the solicitor. Thank you for your advice, I just hoped someone would be able to say "The school have to inform you and you can find it here" anything with the children it's never black and white.

Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now