Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you still wear your wedding ring?

(12 Posts)
toomanyeasterbunnies Thu 16-Jun-11 23:46:12

I removed my wedding ring when I found out DH had an affair. Although, we are trying to work things out I don't think I would ever be able to wear my ring again due to everything it represents and the promises that were broken. I was just wandering if your OH had an affair would you continue to wear your wedding ring?

Just having an angry day and feel like getting rid of it and my wedding dress.

pickgo Fri 17-Jun-11 00:01:44

If you are trying to work things out put it back on!

If you are trying to work things out... and know you won't, give yourself a break and stop now. It's really, really hard work getting over an affair and not for the faint-hearted.

Fideoconpollo Fri 17-Jun-11 07:18:58

I don't wear mine. It feels weird, but when I can be sure I am truly ready to forgive, I would want a new one. I agree with you that it represents all the broken promises. I do miss wearing it though.

toomanyeasterbunnies Fri 17-Jun-11 09:27:30

I'm thinking along the same lines as you fideoconpollo. When I'm ready to wear a ring again I think I will also want a new one. The main stone from my engagement ring fell out shortly before I found out about the affair - I wonder if it was some sort of sign! sad

Flossie69 Fri 17-Jun-11 12:53:52

Took mine off this morning....sad

toomanyeasterbunnies Fri 17-Jun-11 13:09:00

Flossie sad Have you only discovered the affair or did things just not work out?

Wisedupwoman Fri 17-Jun-11 20:31:20

Took mine off sometime during relationship therapy, put it back on when stbx was so upset about it. Took it off again the day I discovered the second OW and threw him out. He took it with him, I don't want it back. The groove in my finger is enough of a reminder.

TennisFan Fri 17-Jun-11 20:34:35

I don't wear it because it stopped fitting me; but now I just don't really want to wear it anymore - don't feel the need.
Happily married though!

countingto10 Fri 17-Jun-11 20:40:31

Took mine off when dh left, put it back on when we reconciled but refused to re do vows (didn't mean anything first time roundhmm). I then badly dislocated ring finger 4 months ago, had to be cut off in a & e, dh gave me a wry smile when the nurse handed him the broken ring ......

Still not had the ring repaired/replaced ......

ChristianSalvesen62 Fri 17-Jun-11 22:02:51

I only put mine back on two years after DH's affair and only then because I was really ready to put it back on. It didn't go un-noticed by my husband. He cried with relief when he saw that I had it on.

I would've demanded liked a new one, but the one I wear was actually my mums, so is important to me in other ways.

We are now three years down the line and, I can honestly say, are happier than we had been for years before the affair smile so don't give up!!

toomanyeasterbunnies Fri 17-Jun-11 22:22:30

Christian that's good you can wear your mum's ring again and I'm glad things have worked out well. I think we have an awful long way to go. H is very upset that I've removed my ring along with all the other jewellery he has bought me, but he does understand. He says that he will know we are OK the day I put it back on again.

Scottie87 Sat 18-Jun-11 07:03:35

I don't wear my wedding ring anymore (4weeks now). For the same reasons... broken promises. I have said if things go well I would wear a ring but not that one. I think it may be in the bathroom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now