Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My 7 year old daughter has just seen us having sex

(60 Posts)
saf1968 Sun 26-Sep-10 18:19:08

Can anyone please give me some advise. My daughter has just seen us in the middle of sex. What should I tell her - she was obviously very confused.

chibi Sun 26-Sep-10 18:23:21

say

when you saw us earlier, we were having sex. it is something adults do. when mummy and daddy are together in our room, please knock first before you come in

or words to that effect

she is too young to appreciate what sex is in the sense that her parents 'at it' would gross her out

if you act like it was normal, she will perceive it that way, and leave it

do not act embarrassed or as though she caught you at something shameful

collision Sun 26-Sep-10 18:25:07

what you doing having sex at this time?? wink

Where was your dd when you first decided to go off and have a bit of nookie?

Am a bit shock

raspberrytipple Sun 26-Sep-10 18:26:07

Don't know what you should say but I walked in on my parents when I was about the same age and didn't have a clue what was going on and don't particularly remember caring. It was only when I got older I really realised what they were up too. If it was me, I probably wouldn't say anything to her, she will probably forget quickly enough.

SixtyFootDoll Sun 26-Sep-10 18:26:32

How did that happen?

passionberry Sun 26-Sep-10 18:28:05

hmm

pinemartina Sun 26-Sep-10 18:39:05

What chibi said.

nameymcnamechange Sun 26-Sep-10 18:41:20

Have you namechanged for this? Its not that embarrassing.

saf1968 Sun 26-Sep-10 18:42:12

Thank you Chibi.
We are not going to make a fuss and hopefully it will be forgotten for now.

papaelsie Sun 26-Sep-10 18:42:16

One day - many years from now - she too will have sex. This is your opportunity to let her know that, between consenting adults, this is perfectly healthy, happy and normal. She will - not yet, but one day - relish your good parenting.

Also, please excuse the prudes - daytime sex is fine - you just need to be more careful next time!

deemented Sun 26-Sep-10 18:42:26

My then five year old saw us having sex once, unbeknownst to us. Until, sat round the table eating dinner he piped up 'Mammy, why were your ankles on S's shoulders?' I'm afraid i was so stunned that i told him they were tired and S was rubbing them better... grin

needafootmassage Sun 26-Sep-10 21:01:24

'Mummy and Daddy were playing Moles, sweetheart.'

OhNoNotTheHoneyBabies Wed 29-Sep-10 11:23:46

I walked in on my parents when I was about 11 (so old enough to know exactly what they were up to) blush. It was my own fault for not knocking on their bedroom door. Mum was quite nonchalant about it later on and Dad said nothing.

Since that moment I have had a pathological fear of their bedroom and want to claw my own eyes out if I inadvertently remember about it....grin

Didn't scar me for life or anything though...<< twitch >>

DeborahDeborah Wed 29-Sep-10 11:30:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MooMooFarm Wed 29-Sep-10 12:16:43

Ha ha you have my sympathy - DD walked in on us last night (it was about 1 in the morning), and we didn't notice her until she started trying to climb in next to me! I just jumped up, gave her a cuddle and took her back to bed. I'm hoping as she seemed to be half asleep and went straight off again that it won't have even registered with her (she's only 4).

A few weeks ago my eldest (who is 13) was sitting eating his breakfast and said to me that he'd heard some funny noises when he'd got up in the night to go to the loo and it was 'disgusting' blush. I told him when he's an adult I'll go round his in the middle of the night and check he's not getting up to any shenannigons with his wifey, as obviously that would be 'disgusting' too!

HRHPrincessReality Wed 29-Sep-10 12:18:16

jeee Wed 29-Sep-10 12:19:53

When my sister was twenty, she walked in on my parents, and started a conversation with them. My mother did think that maybe she should have been a little clearer about the birds and the bees.

I don't think a seven year old would even register it (unless you were chained up, or similar). If she comments, I'd just say, "yes, we were having a cuddle", and leave it at that.

MooMooFarm Wed 29-Sep-10 12:25:54

HRHPrincessReality you're no fun....

<joins HRH in her squickness, and also adds juddering for good measure>

DeborahDeborah Wed 29-Sep-10 12:30:14

HRHPrincessReality Wed 29-Sep-10 12:31:33

Malificence Wed 29-Sep-10 12:34:27

Yep, I clocked it on Sunday and thought hello, this poster isn't likely to return. wink
But then I'm a suspicious old mare.

MooMooFarm Wed 29-Sep-10 12:35:09

HRHPrincessReality I am so dense - sorry blush

DeborahDeborah Wed 29-Sep-10 12:39:45

Malificence Wed 29-Sep-10 12:43:32

You'd be surprised at some of the weirdos who find their way here Deborah.

HairyTruckersRus. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now