Refugee children

(1000 Posts)
Theremustbesomething Tue 01-Sep-15 21:45:29

A friend and I spent the morning wondering what else we might possibly be able to do about the current horrific situation for refugees. I sat at my desk this morning in tears, and I can't be the only one; these could have been our children. If it were DD, I would be begging mothers in Ohio, in Marseille, in Sydney to stand up and say to their governments that this was not acceptable and to save my child's life. I am genuinely bewildered by the outpouring of vitriol that has been directed at refugees by some. Surely getting in a boat and asking another country to keep each of our children safe is barely touching the sides of the things we would do to keep them alive? I think that every time we rock our DC to sleep, every time we kiss their soft little heads, we must all be aware that someone else is desperately trying to keep their child alive in the freezing water tonight.

We've donated to Save the Children, we've signed petitions on change.org and we've written to our MPs, but each of these feel like shouting into the wind. I have asked Mumsnet whether they would be willing to take up this cause and publicly throw their weight behind the request that these children and their parents be allowed into the UK as a temporary place of safety, and that the UK carry out rescue patrols of the sea. I know we're not a political forum, but for God's sake, we must be able to carry some sort of weight on humanitarian issues? In all honesty, I have no idea whether Theresa May would be a Mumsnetter, but I don't think she can afford to offend all of us, or our collective weight.

Mumsnet's record of success on issues which affect parents is pretty impressive. If this doesn't fall within that category, then what does? Please respond to show your support, and ask Mumsnet to take this up as an issue. If parents of small children sitting in ordinary houses and streets across the UK tonight are not willing to raise their hands and say that this has to stop right now, then who will do it?

Please respond (right now, right this instant, before you go off to make your cup of tea) and show your support to Mumsnet HQ. People spend time responding to threads about lions and goodness knows what else. Please, please take the time to respond to this, even if it's just to type the word "Supporting".

Thank you.

USEFUL LINKS:
Practical ways to help refugees from The Independent
Government Petition
Another petition on Change.Org

summertimeover Wed 02-Sep-15 08:27:46

I know what you mean. You have summed up how I feel perfectly. There is one photo of a young boy on the beach that reduces me to tears every time I look at it.

I just don't understand why we are not helping, other countries are. The UK keeps referring to these people as economic migrants when they are victims of war. You don't push your children out to sea in a dingy for money alone, you have to truly think there is no hope left.

I have written to my MP and the PM asking for Britain to get actively involved. I am also looking into refugee charities to see if there is anything else I can do. But a mumsnet campaign would be great. Hopefully other people will agree.

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Wed 02-Sep-15 08:30:47

Supporting for sure.

sassytheFIRST Wed 02-Sep-15 08:32:59

Great idea.

StrawberryTartYum Wed 02-Sep-15 08:34:01

Supporting

HermioneWeasley Wed 02-Sep-15 08:39:02

I support

shovetheholly Wed 02-Sep-15 08:43:48

There are a series of citizen campaigns that are dropping donations to Calais. You can join here on Facebook, and then search for your local group. Most places are taking donations of money, food, sleeping bags etc. at local drop-off points. It's not completely organised and co-ordinated yet (I'm sure volunteers would be very welcome), but at least it's something.

www.facebook.com/groups/CalaisMigrantSolidarityActionFromUK/?fref=nf

IAmcuriousyellow Wed 02-Sep-15 08:49:30

Supporting

TooMuchRain Wed 02-Sep-15 08:53:18

Absolutely supporting - just imagine looking back at those pictures in a generation's time, and those who are children now asking how we could have ignored it all.

LimitedSedition Wed 02-Sep-15 08:55:26

Supporting. I can't understand the hate some people show. It's baffling.

gatewalker Wed 02-Sep-15 08:57:04

Supporting

Forkrightorf Wed 02-Sep-15 08:57:32

Absolutely supporting.

BigcatLittlecat Wed 02-Sep-15 08:59:48

Absolutely victims of war! Shocking that our press and media make villains of them.

Pootles2010 Wed 02-Sep-15 09:02:07

Absolutely supporting. I don't understand how our government are just doing... nothing? They just seem fucking clueless. How can we not have been ready for something like this?

cookiedoughyum Wed 02-Sep-15 09:05:26

Supporting

MsMarthaMay Wed 02-Sep-15 09:05:46

Supporting

nilbyname Wed 02-Sep-15 09:08:51

Supporting and as a mother and as a aligned would take a Syrian refugee/evacuee. Why is this not happening?

I have given stuff to the Calais solidarity group. There are lots dotted around locally, check for a local Facebook page.

Robertaquimby Wed 02-Sep-15 09:09:03

Supporting

sanfairyanne Wed 02-Sep-15 09:09:56

A very good idea.

nannyplumislostinspace Wed 02-Sep-15 09:11:14

Supporting. We must do more to help. It's our duty as part of the human race.

Maltesermom Wed 02-Sep-15 09:11:59

Supporting wholeheartedly xxx

Robertaquimby Wed 02-Sep-15 09:15:39

And thank you for doing this. Was thinking about the contrast between the reaction to the death of Sir Nicholas Winton, rightly recognised as a hero for rescuing Jewish children from Czechslovakia and then the reaction today to people trying to escape from Syria.

Naicecuppatea Wed 02-Sep-15 09:15:51

Supporting, thank you for starting this.

spanisharmada Wed 02-Sep-15 09:20:21

Supporting. I really don't want to see any more pictures of drowned children and told they're economic migrants.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 02-Sep-15 09:20:36

I am supporting too. There must be something we can do. Winter is just around the corner, heavy rain has brought appalling conditions to Calais.

This thread is not accepting new messages.