Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone here caught up in the London Met / HEFCE fiasco??

(16 Posts)
peachygirl Sun 26-Jul-09 21:43:54

We are, well DH. we think it will be this week that we find out if he is to be made redundant

GirlsAreLoud Sun 26-Jul-09 21:46:06

No but have read about it. Sorry to hear your DH may be made redundant sad

GirlsAreLoud Sun 26-Jul-09 21:49:01

How are you feeling about it all pg, do you want to talk?

peachygirl Sun 26-Jul-09 21:55:19

I'm Ok I suppose but he had an email fom the unions and this made it all very real again. It' been hanging over us for a long time now.

I'm coping with the fact that I will have to go back to work full time after probably 10 weeks of maternity leave (I'm due in sept) leaving him with DD and a very tiny baby

treedelivery Sun 26-Jul-09 21:58:50

Ooh my symapthy and total understanding.

My dh was made redundant [though very sudden, 30 mins notice sudden] when I was 28 ish weeks. Its awful and I'm really sorry this might be on the cards for you too.

GirlsAreLoud Sun 26-Jul-09 22:00:47

Oh that sounds very hard, I'm sorry.

I've read a fair bit in the papers and can't really work out why it happened/who primarily is at fault. Of course that doesn't matter anyway, just seems like an odd situation, a fiasco, as you say.

peachygirl Sun 26-Jul-09 22:04:24

DH blames bad management and the funding body pulling funding for students who do not complete in the standard three years.
The govenment want there to be 50% of people in uni but don't necessarily understand that many of these are not going to be your usual'complete the degree on time' students, London Met has a lot of students who live at home and work part time, and mature students etc.

Does that make sense??

GirlsAreLoud Sun 26-Jul-09 22:07:32

Yes, totally.

I know the catalyst is that the HEFCE rules don't/didn't support Universities in the WP sector.

Interested to see that they have now have apparently changed the rules in light of this. But still want to press ahead for Londonmet to repay the money.

Penalising only the staff and the students.

Shit situation. What a mess.

GirlsAreLoud Sun 26-Jul-09 22:09:36

GOt to go to bed now. Will be thinking of you tomorrow peachygirl, really really hope that your DH keeps his job.

Please let me know how it turned out if you get a chance at some point.

Fingers crossed for you all xx

peachygirl Mon 27-Jul-09 18:18:24

Thanks.
We are still waiting to hear Dh has to go in tomorrow for exam invigilation. He is not keen.

GirlsAreLoud Fri 31-Jul-09 09:23:09

Hope things turned out ok peachygirl, thinking of you.

peachygirl Fri 31-Jul-09 20:37:58

Thanks for your thoughts GirlsAreLoud

We thought that today Dh would find out about the redundancy but yet again it looks like it is going to drag on further. There was a big email from the union after a meeting which basically said no one knows what’s going on. What we do know is that if he is made redundant then his ‘package’ will be a better deal that they had previously said.
There is an independent review going on and I think decisions are still being made and fought by the union

On the bright side it means we have another months full pay packet.

peachygirl Wed 05-Aug-09 20:16:04

dh got an email today to say things are being sorted and we may hear soon.

peachygirl Thu 06-Aug-09 18:29:09

this featured today in the Times Higher

peachygirl Thu 13-Aug-09 20:11:19

Just to let anyone who has looked at this thread know we found out today that Dh is not going to be made redundant.

We are very very relieved and can now move on with our lives and planning for the new baby.

GirlsAreLoud Sun 16-Aug-09 20:14:39

Hi peachygirl, thank god for that, very relieved for you. Are many others going to be made redundant do you know? sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now