Talk

Advanced search

Newly redundant -advice please...

(7 Posts)
wahwahwah Thu 18-Jun-09 15:03:17

If you have been given the 30-day consultation - what can you tell outsiders and when? So can you start seeing agencies and applying for jobs and can you tell them why the redundancies were made?

wahwahwah Sat 20-Jun-09 18:00:21

Oh Lord. Here's another one.

What exactly is the Notice Period when you get the 'BIG R'?

If you were on a 3 month notice period and you get the 30 days consultancy... when can you look for a new job? I looked at the CAB site and they say that you may lose some redundancy if you go to a new job during the notice period - so is that within the 3 months period???

Very confused.

Cosmosis Mon 22-Jun-09 17:07:03

I don't know the proper answers, all I know is I was told on thursday that I was at risk and I've started looking for a new job already.

pasturesnew Mon 22-Jun-09 17:09:23

I think your notice period is still your notice period, so if your contract says 3 months, that's what it is. I would start looking though as a notice period works both ways, if you got a good offer you can give 3 months' notice and then let them offer to let you off sooner e.g. your employer might offer to pay you the full redundancy amount earlier if you are lucky.

wahwahwah Tue 23-Jun-09 14:27:28

Argggggg. Have just got an answer after hours on the phone (not really hourse but it fely like that). If you sign a contract with someone else within the notice period, you can forfeit your redundency payment.

Beware!!!

goldrock Tue 23-Jun-09 14:45:48

Commiserations, I was made redundant a few months ago and I started looking as soon as I found out that it was likely because I knew I would struggle to find something else (I'm still looking but have very specific requirements). I don't see why you shouldn't tell anyone about it unless you have been asked not to by your employer and you need to keep in with them. If you do end up being made redundant could you ask to have your notice period paid rather than work it and then you could end up with double money ?
Good luck

Cosmosis Wed 24-Jun-09 11:23:54

I have got my first consultancy meeting on Monday, can anyone give me any indication of what will happen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now