Talk

Advanced search

Leaving email - mention redundancy

(11 Posts)
Whenwillwe3meetagain Tue 27-Jun-17 22:53:50

I leave my job tomorrow after my role was mAde redundant. I was told when I was 11 weeks pregnant (they didn't know I was pregnant) and so partly because of my situation I have stayed longer than I would have done and am now nearly 29 weeks.

I was drafting my leaving email today and a colleague said she thinks most people assume I'm leaving to have a baby not redundancy. I'm still a bit pissed off that my role has been made redundant and someone full time has recently started. So far I have said that I'm going to wait for the baby to arrive in a couple of months and then think about my next career steps in 2018.

Any thoughts appreciated.

moutonfou Tue 27-Jun-17 22:59:22

If you don't want to write it in the email, just make sure to tell the gossip-iest person in the office that you're being made redundant, so it gets round. If I was one of your colleagues, I wouldn't want to not know that there were redundancies happening in the office.

BikeRunSki Tue 27-Jun-17 23:00:42

I'm still a bit pissed off that my role has been made redundant and someone full time has recently started

Doesn't sound like you've actually been made redundant. It's the post that becomes redundant; if someone else is now doing the work you were, then the post is not redundant.

There seems to be a larger battle to fight here, but I would definitely mention the real reason for your departure.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Tue 27-Jun-17 23:02:03

Thanks moutonfou I'm the only one getting redundancy. We are actually growing. My job was badly designed (I was the first to do it) and from early on when I started it was apparent that my work load was very hard to do well within 22 hours a week.

sooperdooper Tue 27-Jun-17 23:03:14

Is the new full time person doing the same job you were? Sounds very dodgy to me, have you had any proper advise about the redundancy, spoken to a union rep?

Whenwillwe3meetagain Tue 27-Jun-17 23:05:00

So the person now doing my job is supposedly a manager role which my position wasn't. It's also full time and I was just mornings. I've been there under two years so don't really have rights on this.
Ridiculous as it is, I work in HR...

BikeRunSki Tue 27-Jun-17 23:05:21

. This

Groupie123 Tue 27-Jun-17 23:06:36

Mention the redundancy so people know you won't be returning.

Inneedofadvice20172234 Tue 27-Jun-17 23:09:13

Yes if course - say at start 'as you may know I've been made redundant so....' why wouldn't you say it?

Tinysarah1985 Mon 09-Oct-17 23:01:36

Just do it. I never forget one gentleman I worked with was made redundant- he found out he was definitely going 20 minutes before his meeting with the senior leadership team, as all his calendar appointments had been deleated! He very quickly put together an out of office saying that he had been made redundant and the employer didn’t have the decency to tell him. Lots of very red faces in the organisation when they realised this was going out.

Slimthistime Mon 09-Oct-17 23:05:18

well it depends how much it matters to you

whoever supplies references for you will know the circumstances and that you were made redundant

If you want to correct a possible misinterpretation of what's happened in your role that's up to you, it's fine if you want to mention it regardless of what your colleague said. But if you are worried about something, she might be wrong about what people think anyway.

I mentioned it here before, I had a major injury and an illness in one job where I was there for 5 years. When I left, it turned out one guy thought I'd left the times I wasn't around due to being off sick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now