Talk

Advanced search

Repost to correct place. Redundancy, suitable alternative roles, GPs and unions

(1 Post)
OnNaturesCourse Tue 23-May-17 16:23:13

So long story short... My department is shutting and we are being offered 'suitable' alternative roles or can take voluntary redundancy.

Problem is if I take redundancy it will fall before my qualifying week so I won't get maternity pay.

So looking at the alternative roles... Which differ greatly in hours, days and targets etc. So first off I don't think they are suitable but I have raised that with the union.

Currently I work 10-6 all week except my one late of 12-8. I work Saturday 9-5 1 in 3 weeks. The new roles are shift work anything from 7am - 9pm and on a rotating basis. One role wants us to work every 2nd Saturday 9-3 working a extra hour on the previous Monday to make up time, and the other role wants us to work every 2nd Sunday shifts between 7am and 9pm.

My concern is that these roles are not suitable alternatives and that I will struggle with the higher demand on weekend work, going from 1 in 3 Saturdays to 1 in 2 or Sunday work, and late/early shifts.

I'm 3.5 months pregnant so looking elsewhere might be hard, and I wouldn't get maternity so I feel stuck. Note my current job offers enhanced mat pay so I get full wages for first 3 months.

I'm also suffering with HP sickness and insomnia as a result of pregnancy. I'm awake from 3am onwards with this and quite violently sick until I've been awake a good few hours. I'm then exhausted by dinnertime. Currently when I work my 12-8 shift per week I actually feel dangerous to drive home. I don't even manage to get my jacket and shoes off before I'm out cold asleep.

I consulted my union about the change in hours and lack of support in reasonable adjustments for me. The told me that I should get a GP note explaining my symptoms and their advice on working hours, then get a occupational health report done through work to support my request to keep similar hours and working days.

What are your thoughts on this?

Can you ask your GP for such a thing?

I'm stressed out my head. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now