Talk

Advanced search

23 weeks pregnant, can i lose my job?!

(4 Posts)
Sweetiepie1989 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:38:58

Hello,

I'm 23 weeks pregnant with DS (rainbow baby) and work full time in a special needs school as a TA.

We've had 4 children across the school come down with slap cheek. Although it doesn't really affect adults and kiddies who catch it, it is very dangerous for unborn babies if mother isn't immune. It can stop the baby growing, cause fluid on the brain as well as many other complications worst case stillbirth (my first son was stillborn).

It's a bit like chicken pox as you can be contagious before even knowing you're ill. Due to this I've been signed off by my GP until at least my blood test results come back saying whether I'm immune, and my work have been less then supportive!

I don't like making a fuss, and have in the past perhaps done things I felt uncomfortable with so not to get the cold shoulder.

So basically I wondered if I can loose my job? I have had time off this year due to picking up different bugs etc. I just couldn't risk this.
Many thanks! (Sorry for long post!)

MaverickSnoopy Fri 21-Apr-17 08:59:20

You are protected during pregnancy and cannot lose your job for pregnancy related reasons. It would be discrimination. If you were not pregnant you would not be signed off.

I'm sorry that your workplace haven't been more supportive. Some employers can be pretty useless. Try not to worry about it and trust that you're doing the right thing for your baby.

Sweetiepie1989 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:14:17

Thank you. I've had time off recently due to stomach bugs (time of the year for it!) So worried they'll say I've had too much and let me go! They really down played how serious it was, Dr wasn't happy I was in at all!

MaverickSnoopy Fri 21-Apr-17 14:10:29

Pregnancy related absence can't be counted into your overall sickness record, although they can acknowledge it and see if there is anything they can do to help.

How long have you worked there for? If you've had lots of sickness not related to pregnancy then they can query that/give you a warning but only in line with their procedures.

In your shoes I would just blame it on the doctor and repeat. When I was pregnant someone I worked with had shingles and I'd never had chicken pox. Dr didn't believe me and said that I could have had it without knowing. I had a blood test and got the result the following day due to the importance. I hadn't had it and needed to have a vaccine. Do you know when you're likely to get the results? If you could relay this to your employer it may help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now