Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DH being made redundant, don't know what to do

(12 Posts)
Mummyhug Tue 25-Oct-16 17:00:37

DH works for a big company that is basically going bankrupt and has pretty much only got maximum 8 months left with the company before seemingly inevitable redundancy.
He has worked for the same company for over 15 years; straight out of school and has done different variations of the same job so doesn't have any experience of any other industry or role.
He wants to take this opportunity to get out of the industry and do something different as his job makes him miserable, but his wage has built up over the years to £30k and I can't see him being able to walk into another industry/job on a similar wage with no experience or relevant qualifications.
I must point out that we can't afford a drop in wage as I am on statutory maternity pay and will be going back to a similar wage to SMP. I've already sacrificed a lot of my wage by going part time on a low paid job to be at home for the children.
I really don't know what to do. Can anyone recommend a good paying job or industry for DH to look into under his circumstances?

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Tue 25-Oct-16 17:09:48

That's really shit, same happened to DP was made redundant then company went bust so he got no £ (well, I think he eventually got about £200 of what should've been £10k+) I'd recommend talking to anyone he knows, relationships are the best way to find jobs. He should also sort CV etc and start getting to know relevant recruitment people. I'd suggest getting in with it asap as if the my go bust and aren't bought out then there will be an influx of people on the market. Good luck!

HermioneWeasley Tue 25-Oct-16 17:15:14

Need more info to advise - what's his job in what industry currently

HeadDreamer Tue 25-Oct-16 17:22:30

Redundancy isn't always the end. He's only in his 30s isn't it? Still young enough for employers and not be written off yet. It might sound cliche but it is true that it is the time for him to reflect what he wants to do and try new things.

I was made redundant about 3 years ago. From where I am now it is the best thing that can happen.

We can't advice what he should get into. Can he maybe see a career coach? I saw one as part of my redundancy package.

If he is in his 50s I would say something very different.

Mummyhug Tue 25-Oct-16 18:33:09

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned what he does. He has an admin role in the railway industry

PikachuSayBoo Tue 25-Oct-16 18:42:06

Am lurking for advice as Dh in the same boat. Sadly he's in his mid 50s so am worried. He's been working for them for less than a year after being head hunted.

mummyhug. Only things I can think of at the minute. Get contact details or references from people now before they scatter and you lose trace of them if company going bust.

Make a list of what he currently does and then when applying for other jobs think laterally about what transferable skills he has. So in a job application for example putting "I have excellent organisational skills because in my current role I was responsible for organising monthly team meetings, drafting the agenda, sending out email reminders, room booking, etc.

Or whatever is relevant. There is always transferable skills whether it's just the broad stuff of team working, communication. Someone who has worked in the same company for a long time could be viewed as a positive. They're not a flitter.

If he wants another job does he know what area? Does he still want admin but in a different sector or a total change? Short term you're going to be entitled to all sorts of benefits I guess until he finds another job. I know it's not great. There's a website called something like entitledto.co.uk. It's a govt website and if you put in your salary and some details of who is in the family it will tell you what credits you can get.

HermioneWeasley Tue 25-Oct-16 19:04:16

That sounds pretty transferable - I think he should start looking around

2014newme Tue 25-Oct-16 19:06:25

There are administration jobs in all industries. Your husband salary is less than the national average perhaps this is the boost he needs to make a change? Get his couple to scratch and sign on with some agencies.
Good luck

2014newme Tue 25-Oct-16 19:07:12

Universities and hospitals have a lot of administration staff

Parker231 Tue 25-Oct-16 19:08:22

Could you change jobs for a better paid full time job and he take on the SAHP?

LIZS Tue 25-Oct-16 19:13:59

Depending on his specific experience maybe logistics, engineering companies, project management, public sector ? Transferrable skills might include planning, people management, customer service, finance ...

LouieLou2013 Tue 25-Oct-16 21:11:38

I'd get him to get all his Railway tickets. PTS, IWA, COSH etc. Those guys earn a fortune! Money is in the unsociable hours etc but might be a stop gap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now