Talk

Advanced search

Frustrated with recruitment agencies 😡

(4 Posts)
magicgirl74 Mon 17-Oct-16 15:43:48

Hi my hubby worked for the same company for 26 years and unfortunately the whole place closed down this year making everyone redundant.Hubby has been out of work since the back end of march and since then has registered with numerous recruitment agencies.He must have applied for well over 700 jobs and people from these agencies often ring hubby telling him they have got the perfect job and he's the perfect candidate ect,hubby sends his cv and the hears nothing and has to chase up the person from the agency only to get a short email saying sorry you were not suitable.I find the way some of these agensies behave very unprofessional and also cruel to build someones hopes up and then let them down,hubby is starting to become very depressed and I don't blame him.He was very good at his job,reliable very rarely took time off.Luckely we had savings and he got a good redundancy payout but that won't last forever,we've already accepted he will have to take a drop in salary and also will have to downsize our house.Is there anything else he should be doing? He's never been out of work before and the process of job hunting seems to be more difficult than it was last time he applied for a job.Last time he applied for a job he was 18 and it was back in the good old days when you applied to the firm directly and not through these recruitment agensies.Sorry for the sa size post,i just feel frustrated on my hubbys behalf.

URHavingAG1raff3 Sun 23-Oct-16 12:36:05

Your DH can apply directly to companies
Some large companies you can set up a link so that it sends you an email when there are vacancies

I believe today it is "a numbers game" so you have to apply for alot of jobs

Does DH have any contacts, networking he can use ?

Add profile and CV onto LinkedIn

If applying for job, try to tailor job application to the job you are applying for

Are there any job fayres he can attend ?

Is he applying for local and jobs further afield, he may have to travel to gain employment

Have you looked into starting your own business ?

fiftyplustwo Tue 16-May-17 17:14:34

Go to LinkedIn and check out Liz Ryan who is writing about recruitment, very good insights.

fiftyplustwo Tue 16-May-17 17:59:29

When you look, look for her articles on "the recruitment process is broken". Also, 700 applications may be worthless if it's a standard "spam" search letter automatically sent out to seven-hundred recipients. I think it might be necessary to start over and tweak the way he looks for new opportunities. What's his professional field by the way?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now