Talk

Advanced search

Maternity Leave and being made redundant

(2 Posts)
Emmac50 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:46:28

I've been at my company 3 weeks short of 6 years. I'm about 2 weeks shy of finishing my maternity leave and this week told I'm on consultation for redundancy. There's no positions available so I need to go. My job has been amalgamated with others in my team. They being health and safety advisors. I'm an environmental advisor. So they're new title is hs&e advisors. Plus the rest of my job will go into the new sustainability advisors role.

I have a few questions:

There is a job available: sustainability advisor why can I not go for this job?

When did they decide that my job was to be axed. Before maternity leave, why didnt this happen then. Or during maternity leave, is this because the person who did my maternity leave and broke his arm so was off and then they cancelled his contract, did they just decide not to employ anyone else and then redistribute my work. This I know is wrong!

So bearing in mind these h&s advisors who are now hs&e advisors are not up for redundancy, why was it just me who is to be made redundant? I thought that a person on maternity is protected i.e. A redundancy position happens and the person on ml must go to one of the appropriate postitions that the others are applying for without an interview.

I have my follow up meeting next Wednesday 24/08/16 so I would like to go in with some ammunition, information and confidence that I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance

VerbenaGirl Fri 19-Aug-16 22:17:28

I'm not an expert, but experienced redundancy processes during both of my maternity leaves and found that both organisations seemed extra cautious about making me redundant and I was allocated a new job both times. I honestly think I was saved by being on maternity!
The situation you have been put in doesn't sound at all right to me.
Try www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/advice-line/ and/or www.citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination/pregnancy-and-maternity-discrimination/ - who should hopefully be able to advise you where you stand before your meeting.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now