Talk

Advanced search

Out of work, expensive bills, now what..?

(5 Posts)
Misha82 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:54:03

Hi all, I am somehow struggling to deal with my situation and wonder if there is anyone who's experienced similar and has some tips. Anything will help.
I am currently 5 months pregnant with twins which is great however my company I've been working for in the past year and half is selling and I've been made redundant as of beginning of this month (July) apparently there weren't any suitable positions within TUPE transfer, which I somewhat still don't believe but am already out so no point wasting time digging... and I am now left without a job and with two little ones on the way.
My partner and I have recently moved to a bigger place to accommodate for the growing family, of course the place is not just bigger but also more expensive and he doesn't have exactly high paying job which could cover all costs for both of us.
I strongly doubt that any employer will welcome me with open arms, given the fact that I'd be going on maternity leave soon.

Any suggestions on what's best to do or where to turn. I'm slowly coming into terms with the fact that due to my unfortunately timed redundancy I won't be eligible for SMP. I am still thinking of trying and apply for new jobs but am not very hopeful here. Looking at the gov. website I can now apply for JSA which is next to nothing but I guess every penny counts at the moment.
Is there anything else I can do to make sure I'll have enough funds to cover our rent in the upcoming months?

Anyone with similar experience and or some helpful advice. I'm struggling to keep my chin up these days.

Thank you all,
Misha

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Mon 06-Jul-15 16:38:20

I can only think of short term temping as an emergency answer. I was going to suggest taking a lodger Link but if you're renting that might not be possible.

Other than that, severe cost cutting might be worthwhile looking at your expenditure, DP might have to think about an additional part time job for a while and you could think about selling or cashing in anything you might have that would make any difference at all.

None of those are particularly practical answers and you've most likely thought of them anyway, but it is short term for an emergency situation. Hope things pick up for you soon OP and the pregnancy goes well.

Rajadee Mon 13-Jul-15 10:18:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Misha82 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:09:10

Thank you for your kind message.
Yes, I am trying to look and apply for relevant temp jobs around the area as feel even a temp job would pay more than Jobcentre. My two designer bags (old presents) have sadly also gone on ebay as 'every penny counts'.

I've never imagined that time that is supposed to be the happiest in a woman's life would be rather difficult and stressful. However we can't always avoid this and my company's sale was unfortunately just so badly timed.

While I registered with Jobcentre I asked whether there are any agencies or establishments that specialize on hiring of pregnant women - just to help out where needed. Alas, there's no such organisation in the UK at the moment. Sad but perhaps this will change in the future so the next mum-to be who will be made redundant won't have to go through the worries I am at the moment :-)

ChillySundays Wed 22-Jul-15 16:24:08

Temping is a good idea. Enrique suggestion of OH looking for extra work is also good.

When we thought my DH might be made redundant we listed all our direct debits to work out what could be cancelled. Still say to the DC that if it does happen SKY will be the first telephone call.

It's not just about earning more but spending less. So have a look at other outgoings to see what can be cut back on.

I wish I could give some employment related advice.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now