Awkward timescales...(6 Posts)
If it was me, I would try and negotiate. Ask if you can apply for voluntary redundancy and negotiate a higher package rather than a lower one. Talk about wanting to look for new challenge and at the same time leave on good terms with your employer etc. Say that leaving early and being paid in lieu will probably work best for all concerned but of course happy to stay and complete any on going tasks as it really is important to you to leave on good terms etc.
You said in your OP that the announcement will be made in three weeks, one week AFTER you've given in your notice.
I'm not clear what exactly you want to negotiate?
I think you should seize the bird in the hand - the job offer, you don't know for sure that your existing job will be redundant or what the terms will be (stat is 1 week per year of service). Just move on and enjoy your new job.
Thanks - my question was about negotiating a pay off once the announcement had been made. Of course I wouldn't hand in my notice until after I'd tried to negotiate. Sorry if this wasn't clear.
If you have handed in your notice prior to announcement and formal notice being given you would not be considered for redundancy.
You can ask but it would be very unlikely for them to give it.
I am looking for some advice on a tricky situation that I'm in. I have been offered a new job and need to give my notice in in two weeks to be able to start on the group induction I'm booked on. I can't postpone my start date, I've already postponed it once already and have to be involved in the full induction. I really want this job.
However, it is highly likely that in three weeks, one week after I give notice, I will be informed that my position will be deleted. The board are to meet regarding the area of business that I work in and I'm 99% sure that my role will be ear-marked.
My redundancy would be 4 months worth of my salary, so quite a hefty chunk. I am supporting three people on my salary and am in debt, so I would really like to leave with some redundancy if at all possible. The question is how, given the awkward timescales I'm working with?
I am possibly clutching at straws here, but do I have any options here for negotiating some redundancy? What I had in mind was to ask for a conversation without prejudice once the announcement is made in three weeks. Even though formal consultations wouldn't have started, I was thinking that I'd have some grounds for negotiating. I was thinking of asking for a small amount of my redundancy in exchange for handing my notice period in before the consultation. I was thinking that the company might agree to it given that they'd be saving a lot of money by not having to pay me my full redundancy.
I have 10 days annual leave owing so I was thinking of using this for the last two weeks of my notice period so that would give me time to arrange the discussion with my boss and also to start my new job while I'm on annual leave from my current job (is this even possible?).
Is this a pipe dream, or something that I should go ahead and do?
Thanks in advance.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.