What should I do if I get offered a new job a day or 2 before being made redundant?(9 Posts)
The company I am working for has informed me that my post is in a redundancy selection pool and that the 4 of us in this selection pool will be informed who and how many of us will be made redundant on Mon 30th Sept (after a period of consultation). I have been offered an interview on Friday 27th of Sept for a job with my previous employer and I know I am 99% likely to be offered that job. My dilemma is, do I tell the people interviewing me the real reason why I am applying for a new job and assuming I get offered the job, do I need to inform my current manager? If I am made redundant at my current job, I will get a fairly decent redundancy package. However, what will happen if the day after I accept the redundancy, my manager gets a request for a reference for this new job?
I would do it and put it down to good timing. Redundancy is horrid so if you get something decent out of it ie a pay off and a new job I would go for it. Presumably your current employer would be expecting you to be looking for a new job if you were at risk of redundancy anyway? Good luck!
Hold onto till you're made redundant at the old job! I've been in exactly this situation, and stalled making a reply to the offering company for 2 days until I hit my redundancy date. What I lost was my 3 months' notice pay but still kept my redundancy payout and other benefits. My old company were pleased for me (though they were a big company - might be different for a small company).
Later on, I asked my new manager what he would have said if I'd told him I was waiting for my formal redundancy for my old job before accepting his offer - he said he would have happily held the position for a few days, as being made redundant actually meant he got me into post more quickly than if I had had to work my notice.
Take the redundancy and go for the interview. There is no reason why you cant get a new job when you are bring made redundant. Makes good sense to find a new one doesn't it? You don't have to tell anyone anything in regards to why you are leaving job or that you have an interview either. Cant see why telling the prospective employer that you are at risk of redundancy would hinder you though?
Take the redundancy, and go for the interview. No need to tell anyone anything.
This happened to DH, and the timing worked beautifully. He walked away with his redundancy money and PILON and started his new job after the weekend. Hopefully the same thing will happen to you!
I don't see why your exisiting employer getting a reference after you've accepted redundancy would bother you - surely they will be expecting you to find a new job? The fact that you've started looking prior to knowing for sure if you've been made redundant is neither here nor there. Tbh this is partly what they hope for during the consultation process, that some people will find new jobs and therefore leave voluntarily, means they have to get rid of fewer people who want to stay.
if he gets a request for a reference, he will have to provide a fair one. you don't need to tell potential new employers about redundancy. Nor do you tell your current manager about application. Unless your redundancy package explicitly states what kind of employment you can go to, you can accept any job you wish afterwards.
there isn't anything for you to do.
Go to the interview.
If you get offered the new job, keep your fingers crossed you're made redundant and negotiate your start with the new job accordingly. Start with a lump sum in the bank.
it's a very fortunate position to be in.
I would go to the interview, and if offered it on the day, or before the 30th, be honest and say you are waiting for a decision at work, so would it be ok if you got back to them on the 30th. All the places I've worked would be fine with that, particularly as 27th is a friday and 30th is a monday. Then you'll get the redundancy decisions on the 30th and go from there.
I think the new job should be understanding if it comes to explaining that there will be a redundancy announcement and you would like to wait to hear what opportunities they might offer you (Though i don't think you need to explain wanting the weekend to decide). And the current job will be expecting you to be looking, so a reference request shortly after 30th won't be a surprise.
I hope it works out for you
Thank you everyone for your advice, sharing your experiences and encouragement!
Join the discussion
Please login first.