Talk

Advanced search

Count Arthur Strong R4

(39 Posts)
TsarChasm Thu 08-Oct-09 19:47:53

I'm going to regret saying this cos there's a massive thread from ages ago with everyone saying it's terrible...but...I think he's funny <hidesgrin>

Habbibu Thu 08-Oct-09 19:50:48

<shuns Tsar>

tvaerialmagpiebin Thu 08-Oct-09 19:53:02

Nope, sorry, can't agree with you there. I almost switched it off, and I was desperate to hear the Archers.

PandaG Thu 08-Oct-09 20:02:37

sorry Tsar, it is one of the few things that makes me turn R4 off. Just awful

TsarChasm Thu 08-Oct-09 20:09:36

Lol I knew you'd all say that. I can see why you don't like it...and yet there's something about it..grin probably the malapropisms. Oh dear..here is no hope for me now.

ProfYaffle Thu 08-Oct-09 20:11:34

Oh, I can't bear it. Same as Panda, I think it's the only thing on R4 I have to switch off.

OT I know, but why is it I listen to the Archers (without meaning to, it's just always fecking on) but still have no clue who's who or what's going on?

Whoooooooseyfruit Thu 08-Oct-09 20:12:49

I like it too. Makes me chuckle.
in fact DH and I went to see him live and he was very funny. Although the majority of the audience was at least 25 years older than us blush.

Mind your head.............. on that light fitting!

TsarChasm Thu 08-Oct-09 20:15:20

Wow you've seen him?

I think we're living dangerously admitting to this Whooosey...the humour that dare not speak it's name and all that (on mnwink)

Earthymama Thu 08-Oct-09 20:16:34

Oh I LOVE Count Arthur, I used to live in St Helens and DGS1 grandad who's from there has just that accent.

I went with my neice to see him live at the Riverfront in Newport and he was great.

However I will admit to loving Round the Horne and to never, ever missing the chance to make dreadful puns.

And the phrase, 'As the Actress said to the Bishop', is never far from my lips.

So TC you are not alone, (but I am when I listen as DP is appalled)smile

fishie Thu 08-Oct-09 20:17:02

i used to hate it but have got kind of used to it now. i think it is better on at 11.30am, more a morning than an evening comedy.

Whoooooooseyfruit Thu 08-Oct-09 20:17:21

my favourite malapropism of Count Arthurs is "Germolene Graham who wrote the Female Enoch"

TsarChasm Thu 08-Oct-09 20:17:26

I seem to like old men characters created for radio (god what an admissionblushgrin).

Of course there's nothing to hold a candle to the great Shuttleworth himself.

Earthymama Thu 08-Oct-09 20:17:36

See I was one of the oldies...Whooo!!

deepdarkwood Thu 08-Oct-09 20:19:52

I'm not sure I can countenance the great Shuttleworth on this thread
<makes list of Count's fans, and removes from Christms list>

TsarChasm Thu 08-Oct-09 20:24:07

Oooh nooo (Ruth Archer voice)...not ceremonial removal from the Christmas list! Spare us..<whimpers>

TsarChasm Thu 08-Oct-09 20:28:42

Rofl at Whoosey 'Germolene Graham who wrote the Female Enoch' grin

Tonight he was writing a book using a sudocrem.

3littlefrogs Thu 08-Oct-09 20:30:57

I think he is very funny, but better in the morning than the evening. It must be a generational thing grin

3littlefrogs Thu 08-Oct-09 20:31:56

I loved the one where he got a video player with instructions for a toaster - or was it the other way round..............

midnightexpress Thu 08-Oct-09 20:33:28

My name is midnightexpress and I like Count Arthur Strong.

I am also big Shuttleworth fan though (we play him to the DCs in the car, but so far they are unmoved) so perhaps not surprising.

I get increasingly irritated by Just a Minute though. Happily turn that off.

AitchTwoToTangOh Thu 08-Oct-09 20:35:04

yep, i switch off too. it's utter shite.

shuttleworth, otoh...

AttillaTheHan Thu 08-Oct-09 20:35:26

I will nail my colours to the mast and I'll admit that I bloody love Count Arthur Strong... There, I've said it. Finally out of the closet grin

fishie Thu 08-Oct-09 20:37:48

nothing could be as bad as quote unquote.

midnightexpress Thu 08-Oct-09 20:38:59

Yes that's very true fishie. Utterly pointless. Thankfully never on when I'm listening.

Whoooooooseyfruit Thu 08-Oct-09 20:39:17

yay more fans. My 12yo Ds was listening tonight and was chuckling away.
wasn't he writing a book using a sudafed too!

LunaticFringe Thu 08-Oct-09 20:39:41

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now