Talk

Advanced search

Is it me or is Rob Brydon just not doing it for you on ISIHAC?

(104 Posts)
johnworf Sun 26-Jul-09 21:27:50

I've really stuck it out listening to him in the chair but he's just not doing it for me. I wish they'd take him off. He's ruining it for me!

Ponders Sun 26-Jul-09 21:28:53

Jack Dee seems to have the best handle on the job...I like Rob Brydon but he hasn't got it right (& Stephen Fry is just irritating)

policywonk Sun 26-Jul-09 21:36:34

I only heard the last one but I agree, it wasn't working (and I usually find him quite funny).

They should stop with the Samantha stuff IMO. It was funny when Humph did it because his delivery was so impeccable, and his ancientness made the sex references incongruous (not that ancient people can't have sex, but YKWIM). Whereas when Brydon read out that joke about seeing her stuffed beaver, I thought 'a) that's nicked from the Naked Gun and b) bleeugh Brydon, shut up!'

Didn't hear Fry (annoys me at best of times) or Dee.

Threadworm2 Sun 26-Jul-09 21:40:50

I like the chairmanship being a guest spot -- emphasises that no one can own it post-Humpf.

Sephen Fry is an annoying person but wasn't oo bad. Best by far was Jack Dee, because he already has the 'Christ this is boring and I am pissed off' persona that Humph used.

Agree that the Samantha stuff was Humph-dependent and ought to stop.

The resurrection is less distressing than I thouhgt it would be. It still feels like they are all committing adultery with Humph's wife though. Even though ISIHAC is actually his widow <metaphor collapses>

policywonk Sun 26-Jul-09 21:50:31

Yes, I can see that Dee's persona would fit. How does he do on the double entendres?

I don't know about the guest spot thing. It works well on HIGNFY because Angus Deayton's role was only ever, as Hislop and Merton loved to point out, 'reading aloud' (albeit with comic timing). But the ISIHAC chair is much more crucial to the comedy of the show - with a bad chair the whole conceit of the quiz (that it's entirely meaningless but we all pretend to take it seriously) seems to collapse.

God I'm in an over-analysing mood tonight. <gives Humph's trumpet a good rogering>

Jux Sun 26-Jul-09 21:52:47

I thought Fry did it pretty well; completely missed Jack Dee. Can't stand Rob Brydon at the best of times, and I thought he was utter shit on this. (That means they'll pick him, and I'll never be able to listen to it again, btw!)

Don't mind the Samantha stuff though; I thought it came better from Fry though.

peachygirl Sun 26-Jul-09 21:57:34

I have heard all three and would agree that Jack Dee was the best.

Yurtgirl Sun 26-Jul-09 22:02:55

I wasnt that keen on Jack Dee tbh

I like Stephen Fry but I prefer him on QI

I hope they keep it as a guest presenter like Have I got news for you?

msled Sun 26-Jul-09 22:07:28

I think they should get Michael Aspel. He made me laugh a lot of HIGNY. He has the essential quality of being old, with all the mannerisms of the impeccably respectable, without which the filth is just...filth.
He also has something slightly disreputable about him which just peeps through the respectability. He as funny about the ghastliness of Miss World for example.

Jux Sun 26-Jul-09 22:13:56

I think they should find someone not so obviously 'showbiz'. I had thought John Sargeant but he's out of hte running since the Dance thing (as far as I'm concerned anyway).

My brother would do it pretty wellwink

msled Sun 26-Jul-09 22:16:09

They have to have the appearance of utter respectability but have quiet louche side. and definitely have to be old. I fear that Humph is irreplaceable - can't imagine anyone being as good really.

policywonk Sun 26-Jul-09 22:17:15

Aspel and Sargeant would both be good. Agree that basically, we need someone elderly and a bit filthy.

policywonk Sun 26-Jul-09 22:17:40

Prince Philip?

rasputin Sun 26-Jul-09 22:18:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jux Sun 26-Jul-09 22:20:14

grin policywonk; he'd be great wouldn't he?

AitchTwoOh Sun 26-Jul-09 22:20:46

oh yes, aspel is genius, good thought. sargent also good but aspel would be a surprise choice and utter FILTH.

policywonk Sun 26-Jul-09 22:23:14

<writes to R4 Head of Comedy with surprise suggestion>

Tommy Sun 26-Jul-09 22:24:50

agree - the beaver joke was just yeuch

I think JD is great anyway smile

I read somewhere that since it is suppoed to be the "antidote" to panel games, having panel game master (i.e. SF) on it defeats the point.

I'm not a huge fan of RB but thought he was ok.

It's a tricky one alright grin

Ponders Sun 26-Jul-09 22:26:01

oooh, what about David Mitchell?

Granted he is actually quite young, technically, but does come across as surprisingly elderly (bless him smile)

(not filthy though blush)

Ponders Sun 26-Jul-09 22:27:01

failing that, what about Lionel Blair? wink

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 26-Jul-09 22:27:22

John Sargeant absolutely. He has that mischievous /innocent appeal that is so appealing. Not sure about the filth element though. Think teddy bear meets mud wink

ButterbeerAndLemon Sun 26-Jul-09 22:28:32

I always felt they should offer the chairmanship to Samantha. She's very familiar with the show, after all, and knows the rules of Mornington Crescent inside out.

Humph was effectively just "reading aloud", but his timing and delivery were SO spot-on that no one else quite measures up.

Threadworm2 Sun 26-Jul-09 22:28:44

Michael Aspel formerly of Antiques Roadshow and former straight man in Crackerjack?

Nooo. He is oily.

I really think they should let ISIHAC die with dignity.

It was brilliant because it started as a parody of quiz shows at a time when everything was played straight and sincere. Now everything is a pastiche of everything. It is on borrowed time and sooner or later it will be awful.

policywonk Sun 26-Jul-09 22:28:52

I think I might be developing inappropriate feelings for David Mitchell. I've missed him twice on Desert Island Discs this week (damned Roy Plumley Estate and its steam-driven objection to Listen Again).

Threadworm2 Sun 26-Jul-09 22:31:08

David Mitchell was lovely on DID. It is a biot embarrassing, though, that very interviewer acts like his mother now: 'When are you going to find a nice girl and settle down?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now