Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shami Chakrabarti on Woman's Hour deeply irritating...

(15 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 05-Jan-09 10:42:22

or is it just me? She doesn't sound as if she is capable of having a conversation without lecturing. She always seems to have an agenda - Obama's election is something "they can't take away from us". She was rude to Jane about her point of there being few women on view in politics in the Middle East. She was ill informed not to be able to name the other prominent women in "her" Obama's cabinet - Janet Napolitano, Susan Rice and Lisa Jackson

sleepycat Mon 05-Jan-09 10:43:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pigleto Mon 05-Jan-09 11:01:48

It must be hard to live up to her reputation. I think she is wonderful and a marvellous role model.

ForeverOptimistic Mon 05-Jan-09 11:03:59

I have always found her deeply irritating she comes across like a stroppy teenager.

unavailable Mon 05-Jan-09 11:11:38

Didnt hear the programme, but in general I think she's fab!

jardy Mon 05-Jan-09 20:41:57

Irritating,yes i agree

jardy Mon 05-Jan-09 20:43:39

Agree with forever,too strident and full of herself-yuk

spicemonster Mon 05-Jan-09 20:45:17

On the handful of occasions I have been to Portcullis House, she is always there, hanging out with politicians. She is Ms Rent a Quote

ipanemagirl Fri 09-Jan-09 10:26:46

I think she is an excellent woman, and does her job really well in terms of a profile for Liberty and giving her organisation a voice.

But I do find her tone irritating at times too , she goes for the slightly aggressive style of debate instead of having more gravitas and being a little more dignified in style.

I think it's because all her colleagues are really young and she sometimes seems to be trying to keep up with them maybe. She almost said as much on Desert Island Discs. I think she should relax and be her age and not have to feel all bovverish, she has proper clout and can afford a less jabbing fingered approach I don't think it would make her less effective at all.

TheCrackFox Fri 09-Jan-09 10:44:22

Didn't hear the programme but her job must be so depressing, it really is a thankless task. Apparently from March a record of all our emails has to kept by ISPs for a year. Our civil liberties are disappearing fast.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 09-Jan-09 11:25:36

That's interesting about what she said on Desert Island Discs ipanemagirl. I agree that Liberty has a vital role to play and that she does raise the profile but worry that her stroppy, hectoring and as you say, finger jabbing approach just alienates people. My heart sinks whenever I see her on Question Time and I support what Liberty stands for.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 09-Jan-09 11:27:16

That's interesting about what she said on Desert Island Discs ipanemagirl. I agree that Liberty has a vital role to play and that she does raise the profile but worry that her stroppy, hectoring and as you say, finger jabbing approach just alienates people. My heart sinks whenever I see her on Question Time and I support what Liberty stands for.

georgiemum Fri 09-Jan-09 11:27:21

I heard that she gets loads of threats against her and her family. Thankless job.

ipanemagirl Fri 09-Jan-09 23:18:29

It's interesting what you say extremelychocolateymilkroll I think there's a kind of passion in her cause and a commitment and anger that she feels is appropriate to express, maybe if she didn't, then she wouldn't get booked for anything and would be doing Liberty a disservice!
Thankless job!
That is awful georgiemum.

MaryDaisy Thu 26-Oct-17 23:48:45

I used to admire her but she has morphed into a patronising, self-absorbed narcissist, much too eager to celebrate herself rather than incisive argument

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now