Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone listen on Digital radio (DAB)?

(14 Posts)
glasjam Sat 04-Oct-08 23:22:38

Cos I do - have a lovely Roberts Radio that was a birthday present - only I can only listen on FM because if I listen using DAB it constantly breaks up. Am I living in a remote, rural area that might have signal problems?? NO I am living in a big Scottish city. Who can I complain to because it is seriously getting on my wick!!

Habbibu Sat 04-Oct-08 23:41:47

Click on coverage (middle tab) here and type in your postcode - might be a fault with your radio?

policywonk Sat 04-Oct-08 23:48:11

Please forgive me if you've already done this, but have you put the aerial up? When I got my DAB I assumed that the aerial wasn't necessary for DAB signals, but DP tells me that it is.

jeanjeannie Sun 05-Oct-08 21:00:02

Oh we've tried everything and the reception is Sh*te. We've put up the ariels, moved it from room to room and now............we've given up.

We're hardly remote - we're in Bucks - 25 miles out of London!

I listen online if it's a station I can't get on the radio. Me thinks this digital, schmigital radio malarky is a hoax hmm

ssmudge Mon 06-Oct-08 10:12:00

Waste of money. DAB will be obsolete within the next 2 years.

ssmudge Mon 06-Oct-08 10:12:01

Waste of money. DAB will be obsolete within the next 2 years.

Anna8888 Mon 06-Oct-08 10:13:59

Yes, I do because I live in France and want to listen to English radio and the long wave reception is terribly painful.

It does break up on digital radio - but it is still infinitely preferable to long wave.

brimfull Mon 06-Oct-08 10:14:37

really ssmudge?

what will replace it?

we have dab radio that doesn't work on the kitchen windowsill-the prime place I want the feckin thing

works like a dream in the bathroom

KatyMac Mon 06-Oct-08 10:15:22

I listen on the computer - it's much easier

Anna8888 Mon 06-Oct-08 10:16:07

BTW, I thought that the reason my digital radio breaks up is the same reason why my landline telephone breaks up - that the WiFi broadband for domestic subscribers here isn't sufficient for the number of subscribers so it gets overloaded at certain times of day...

SorenLorensen Mon 06-Oct-08 10:18:12

We have a DAB radio in our bedroom (top of a three storey house) and reception is fine and we have DAB radio on our stereo in the dining room downstairs and reception is diabolical - even with the aerial. Dh has connected it up (much wire and lifting up of carpets and drilling holes in the ceiling hmm) to the PC on the middle floor of the house.

brimfull Mon 06-Oct-08 10:19:19

our digital telly is always breaking up as well

ssmudge Mon 06-Oct-08 10:46:05

The technology used for DAB was created in the 1980's. The technology can't cope with digital quality sound and a large number of stations using the DAB platform. (I work in radio). It will be replaced by DAB+ or something similar. Buy an internet radio, you over 2000 stations and all good quality sound.

glasjam Mon 06-Oct-08 11:01:35

So it's not just me then! Habbibu I went on that site and put in my postcode and it said there was a problem with my postcode? Couldn't quite work out whether it was a technical hitch or whether it was telling me there wasn't coverage in my area - I live in Glasgow FFS!! I tried my parents in another major city in England and it said the same thing.

Isn't it annoying when something is trumpeted as being the absolute ultimate in reception/quality and has so MUCH MONEY pumped into it and it doesn't blinking work!

I feel a letter to the BBC coming on!

They're going to really be in trouble if their digital TV coverage is as bad - especially when they switch off the analogue signal!

PS I did put the aerial up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now