Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Guilty Pleasures in radio land

(15 Posts)
charitas Thu 02-Oct-08 23:42:02

My DP and I have a sneaking affection for the alan partridge alike that is Richard Bacon on 5live off an evening. We like to imagine him going back to a travelodge after the show. Go on tell me your radio quilty secret I won't judge/laugh like a drain. To quote the lovely Richard, some people get upset when their show is shorter I like it, less work for the same money

FunnyLittleFrog Thu 16-Oct-08 18:59:01

Radio 2 on Sundays - Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs, Elaine Paige, Dale Winton... couldn't get any camper really!

And Sarah Kennedy's morning show during the week. Has to be heard to be believed!

TheArmadillo Thu 16-Oct-08 19:02:19

really old bbc dramas, where everyone talks with an RP accent, cept the maid who has some bizzare made up accent. Set turn of century, recorded in 1960s/70s so quality not great.

And comedy shows - almost any (cept dead ringers cos it is complete shite). Even the old ones like 'the navy lark' and topical shows from 20 years ago.

This is why I have bbc7.

AnneOnymous Thu 16-Oct-08 19:10:11

I love bbc7 and on the odd ocassion ive been able to lie down with dd for a nap listening to an entire agatha christie - heaven

Also love listening to Fip - its a french public service radio station playing a really eclectic mix of fairly light listening jazz classical indie - always nice to have on in the background. Very little talking and if you listen via 'tinternet you get to see what their playing too. every 6th record is crap but worth it for the other 5

PuppyMonkey Thu 16-Oct-08 19:16:22

Desmond Carrington, Radio Two on a Tuesday night. From his home in Scotland. terrible. But great.

RhinestoneCowghoul Thu 16-Oct-08 19:16:54

Armadillo - what about Paul Temple, they are marvellous, v clipped accents. And his wife is called Steve, which is odd hmm

TheArmadillo Thu 16-Oct-08 19:43:28

I love the Paul Temple stories. I keep wondering what steve could possibly be short for.

I can't work out when they are set though.

RhinestoneCowghoul Thu 16-Oct-08 19:47:15

Think the original ones were 50s, but they've recently re-recorded some (as a lot of the tapes were lost) with original sound effects, and authentic microphones for that true head in a bucket sound...

southeastastra Thu 16-Oct-08 19:50:48

guy pratt on planet rock sunday night, especially the silly 'come wallop the baby' misheard lyric section.

jeanjeannie Thu 16-Oct-08 21:17:23

Ed Reardon's week - sublime Radio 4 comedy...thrilled new series in on.

Agree with Puppymonkey - something very pleasing about Desmond Carrington - love the fact it's from his house!

Occasional Gaydar radio - when the digital signal decides it's going to let us hear it.

Habbibu Thu 16-Oct-08 21:19:21

Oh, I love Paul Temple! Don't like the new ones so much - Steve just isn't right. Short for Stephanie?

finknottle Fri 17-Oct-08 14:40:01

I love Paul Temple too, imagine Steve as perfectly coiffed, serious lipstick and always wearing heels.
Pure escapism.
New Paul Temple? Have been having serious problems with the BBC iPlayer, haven't listened for ages.
Desmond Carrington reminds me of playing in the kitchen when little and listening to my dad's music. Love it, v soothing.

Not a guilty pleasure but I also love Baldi. Clever & v well written. I want to sit in a Dublin pub and have Dr Baldi explain things to me...
<sigh>

charitas Wed 22-Oct-08 23:07:39

I love the way it is the person from abroad whois notquite a qentlemqan don'tchknow what did it on PaulTemple. OOps thinkI just got his catchphrase muddled whith LordWhimsy

MamaHobgoblin Thu 23-Oct-08 12:10:18

We love Paul Temple too! Think Steve must be a Stephanie really. She's a plucky gel, isn't she? grin

I like the Doctor Who series on R7, but prefer Peter Davidson to Paul McGann...

We can't get the signal for Gaydar radio here, sob.

scampadoodle Sun 26-Oct-08 20:30:30

Oh Desmond Carrington is fabulous! (I thought I was the only one). I love it when he plays truly bizarre cover versions that are much worse than the originals. And when he has a bit of a mutter about how things aren't what they used to be... But he also plays great 40s & 50s stuff which is just right for that time in the evening (as I'm gearing up for Radcliffe & Maconie).

Love Paul Temple too. Can't imagine he & Steve having sex though. They probably have those 1930s twin beds with padded satin bedspreads. They say "Good night darling" then he dreams of naked squaddies grin
Have you noticed how much time is taken up with what they're going to drink? Wonderful stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now