Talk

Advanced search

Why is everyone so in love with Radio 2?

(21 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Sat 20-Sep-08 15:52:26

I'm a confirmed Radio 4 lass, but I hear so much about how everyone's tuning into Radio 2, yet when I listen it all sounds a bit, well, naff! Perhaps I'm listening to the wrong shows? Are there any loyal 2 listeners out there who can convince me to switch over?

BreevandercampLGJ Sat 20-Sep-08 15:59:24

Terry Wogan

There is one good reason to switch over.

Terry Wogan reads Janet and John in the mornings, I am surprised there aren't more accidents. This is not one of the best, but it is funny

And I never thought I would say it, but Chris Evans is another good reason.

Lilymaid Sat 20-Sep-08 16:00:59

They will need to convince me too - I've always thought Radio 2 to be the Daily Mail of radio [Lily does quick getaway ...]

unknownrebelbang Sat 20-Sep-08 16:01:56

Second Terry Wogan.

My mum listened to him years ago, and I still like listening to him.

And yes Chris Evans is actually rather good (and I surprise myself when I say that too).

Sadly, only tend to listen to R2 when on holiday/travelling though, generally listen to local radio at other times.

DaisySteiner Sat 20-Sep-08 16:04:47

Sarah Kennedy though. Why????

Cocolepew Sat 20-Sep-08 16:07:50

Yes to Alex Lester
No to Bunty
Yes to Wogan
Yes to Ken Bruce
No to Jeremy Vine (hate talky radio)
No to Steve Wright (pompous arse)
Yes to Chris Evan shock
Listen to Mojo on the telly inbetween

BreevandercampLGJ Sat 20-Sep-08 16:08:42

I think Chris Evans is finally happy with his lot in life, and it shows.

unknownrebelbang Sat 20-Sep-08 16:09:32

I think you're right Bree.

Marina Sat 20-Sep-08 16:36:15

No radio station is perfect. Radio 2 overall plays far better music than Radio 1 and I've never been that taken with the evening schedule on Radio 4, which is when we mostly listen. Too doomy. Give me Janice Long or that loon Bob Dylan any day. The last time we switched to late night Radio 4 it was a really craply dramatised short story about a man offing his annoying wife on a safari holiday hmm.
If you have digital you could try 6 Music, that's my personal favourite.

Marina Sat 20-Sep-08 16:37:06

You are right Bree, but after his hysterical fawning over a sweet little boy last week I am not sure Chris Evans Happy is an entirely good thing for the rest of civilisation.

SqueakyPop Sat 20-Sep-08 16:39:09

I like R2, 4 and 5, and am very troubled that I can't listen to them at the same time, particularly the morning shows.

Terry Wogan is hilarious, but then so is Nicky Campbell.

Marina Sat 20-Sep-08 16:40:30

That is precisely our dilemma Squeaky. Today programme excellent but tbh there are times when its coverage, inevitably, has little ears flapping and big questions being asked

squeaver Sat 20-Sep-08 16:41:33

Cocolepew - your listening pattern is identical to mine.

Cocolepew Sat 20-Sep-08 16:47:08

We are women with taste Squeaver
I used to love Steve wright when he was on Radio one but he's so know it all now, and Tim who's on the show with him isn't any better.
J. Ross on a Saturday is a hoot.

badgermonkey Sat 20-Sep-08 16:50:12

I like Chris Evans, Jonathan Ross and Radcliffe and Maconi. There are some crap bits though - I switch over at the merest hint of showtunes and one day a week there's a Hammond Organ hour hmm. I do think it's good that the BBC caters for the people who like Hammond Organs etc, though, even if it's not my taste.

squeaver Sat 20-Sep-08 17:14:43

Agree cocolepew. Also I just feel like I've been listening to Steve Wright "in the afternoon" all my bloody life. And it's still the same old schtick he's peddling. Apparently everyone hates him at R2. Have you noticed that he never does a handover chat with JV or Evans?

Cocolepew Sat 20-Sep-08 17:16:58

I have noticed that a few, including Wogan, has started to take the piss out of him and then there's Sarah Kennedy and her SW's!

MamaHobgoblin Sat 20-Sep-08 22:25:59

We have a Radio Addicts topic? smile

(Ok, I'm a little late. I've been on my holidays.)

I used to (have to) listen to R2 at my last job and it really put me off, being enforced as it were. I do like Terry and Ken Bruce, but Jeremy Vile makes me squirm and shout obscenities at the radio (not great at work, however casual the office) and once I was so incensed at his scaremongering handling of that week's medical hoax story (it was underarm deodorants cause breast cancer) that I actually emailed the show. And then my bluff was called and someone rang to ask if I'd like to discuss it on air with Vile, and I backtracked in horror...
Um, anyway. The vileness of the lunchtime slot, and the inane drivel of Steve Wright sort of put me off. I'm a R4 girl with a side of R7, really, but I do like the oldies on R2, just not the old farts who talk in between!

Hassled Sat 20-Sep-08 22:30:43

I have a rule - Radio 4 weekdays until 5pm. Radio 2 after 5 (Chris Evans when I'm cooking) and at weekends, apart from Desert Island Discs if it's on when I'm ironing.

Or maybe I should just get out more wink?

MrsThierryHenry Sun 21-Sep-08 17:29:19

Steve Wright!!! <vomits violently>. Just listened to him this morning and I see what you mean. Sickly maggot-food. I shall give that one a wide berth.

Have just listened to a little of Jonathan Ross, who I used to think was a tosser until recently giving his TV show a second chance. So far he's made me chortle on R2, so that's a good sign.

Chris Evans - I think it's just his voice that I find annoying, so I can't get past his schoolboy tones to tell whether he's any good or not. I shall have to put on my grown-up face and give him a second chance too!

pushchair Sun 21-Sep-08 17:48:32

Terry Wogan really anoyed me at first. It seemed so cliquey and fullof in jokes. Now I'm geting them! However I hover between him and the today programme-sometimes the world and John Humphries are too much to cope with first thing. I LOVE Johnny Walker listening to him now and like it when he takes over fromTW. Ken Bruce v. dry wit and much under-rated imo. Then it's a radio wasteland until Chris Evans/Eddie Mair. Also like Jonathon Ross to dip into, ditto archers and Dessert Island discs is good depending on the guest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now