Talk

Advanced search

Any recs for decent dramas on r4 iplayer?

(34 Posts)
PetuniaClark Fri 07-Aug-20 07:31:06

Racing through the Raj quartet.......looking for more of the same.....prefer serials to the 1 off afternoon plays. Loved the waking the dead series that was on . Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
SparklingLime Fri 07-Aug-20 07:47:54

The Inspector Chen novels are good, but just found there’s actually only one on there atm:

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b06rf3mw

This list has quite a few series on:
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xxp0g

SparklingLime Sat 08-Aug-20 11:59:33

This is a great series, @PetuniaClark:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b70j

BoxhillBertha Sat 08-Aug-20 12:00:53

I enjoyed Tracks, Murmurs and the Pilgrim series. All fantasy/sci fi.

CarolEffingBaskin Sat 08-Aug-20 12:12:49

Whisperer in the Darkness is fantastic.

OfflineFor40Years Sat 08-Aug-20 12:20:27

Not sure if they're still on there but I enjoyed The Forsyth Saga, The Pallisers and Stone.

OfflineFor40Years Sat 08-Aug-20 12:21:08

Forsyte, damn autocorrect

ednclouda Sun 09-Aug-20 18:35:08

inspec chen is very good tracks is good on podcasts and am just finishing martin beck killings theyre very good have a go at the post office scandal as well

nauticant Tue 11-Aug-20 15:12:10

I liked Tumanbay. Think Game of Thrones in Mamluk Egypt. You can actually download the first 4 series here:
archive.org/details/TumanbayR42015
I've also been getting in to The Corrupted, nasty goings on in the London underworld from the 1950s to more recent times:
archive.org/details/thecorrupteds1-4

I very much echo many of the other recommendations, Martin Beck is just great.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 28-Nov-20 23:11:36

I loved Tracks.

I've just finished listening to an adaptation of Middlemarch which was fabulous.

In the middle of a 6 part series called Where This Service will End. It's a comedy drama and is just gorgeous.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sun 29-Nov-20 12:39:42

Was just going to recommend that, BaconAndAvocado! I came across it the other day and am part way through the second one. Lovely stuff.

BaconAndAvocado Sun 29-Nov-20 16:03:35

It is lovely Gasp

The actors in it are superb. Although I was certain the man was Stephen Mangan and it isn't!

rosegoldwatcher Sun 29-Nov-20 16:17:26

What a fabulous thread!

Thank you @ednclouda for alerting me to The Martin Beck Killings - I've seen the original Swedish TV series and loved the characters.

My recommendation is Little Lifetimes - a series of short monologues written by Jenny Eclair. Listening to them this morning helped me to get on with some very boring chair painting!

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/b06r4stp

rosegoldwatcher Sun 29-Nov-20 16:21:03

Oh! have just looked for The Martin Beck Killings and they are no longer available.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sun 29-Nov-20 16:33:18

@BaconAndAvocado, it's odd, isn't it, I looked the actors up and recognised them both immediately but neither of them sounds like what they look like. There's an art history expert who turns up on Fake or Fortune and he's the face I have in my mind for David. I'm on episode 4 now. The titles are great.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 01-Dec-20 09:47:02

Gasp I'm also on episode 4. It's the funniest one so far!

Let me know what you think.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 01-Dec-20 20:07:27

I absolutely loved it. I listened to all the remaining episodes on Sunday afternoon. Hope you enjoy the final episode!

BaconAndAvocado Tue 01-Dec-20 20:25:16

Kids are back to school tomorrow after being in isolation so I'm looking forward to listening to the last one.

The funeral episode was hilarious 😂

nauticant Sat 05-Dec-20 16:02:08

The first two episodes of Passenger List were broadcast this afternoon:

passengerlist.org/

A promising start. You can hear the first two episodes on Sounds:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q3lg/episodes/player

BaconAndAvocado Sun 06-Dec-20 12:22:40

What's it about nauticant ?

nauticant Sun 06-Dec-20 18:21:38

When the unthinkable happens, reality bends. Prime example: When a commercial flight vanishes over the ocean, you don’t just get the loss of lives and the intense suffering felt by those they leave behind. You also get mass theorizing, a collective mania experienced by everybody else. Planes, being technological marvels in an age of surveillance, aren’t supposed to literally disappear without a trace, right? Except they still can, because extremely low probabilities are still, nonetheless, possibilities. The universe remains chaotic, despite every attempt to make it knowable and controllable.

The contrails of this mania drift at the edges of Passenger List, the new Radiotopia fiction podcast that debuted last month. Six episodes deep at this writing, the series follows a college student, Kaitlin Le (The Last Jedi’s Kelly Marie Tran), as she works to figure out the truth behind the sudden disappearance of a transatlantic flight, which held her twin brother as a passenger.

PleasantVille Sun 06-Dec-20 18:25:22

nauticant

The first two episodes of Passenger List were broadcast this afternoon:

passengerlist.org/

A promising start. You can hear the first two episodes on Sounds:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q3lg/episodes/player

I listened to this some time ago, if you Google you can probably find the whole series, I wonder how it's ended up on iplayer now but not the whole thing.

BaconAndAvocado Sun 06-Dec-20 21:13:18

Oohs I like the sound of that. Sounds reminiscent of Tracks.

nauticant Mon 07-Dec-20 11:35:50

They're going to be broadcast over the coming weeks PleasantVille:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q3lg/broadcasts/upcoming

But they can be listened to earlier from the original source www.passengerlist.org/

nauticant Mon 07-Dec-20 11:39:54

Yes, it does have a Tracks vibe but, so far, nowhere near as bonkers.

Even with it being bonkers I love Tracks mainly because of the characterisation of Dr Helen Ash. But the current one doesn't work quite so well for me as Romola Garai or Hattie Morahan.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in