Talk

Advanced search

News Quiz guest hosts - are they auditioning?

(13 Posts)
BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 16-Oct-19 11:49:55

Or are they just doing it while the BBC decide on a new host? Because none of them are quite hitting the mark for me. The best of them so far is Andrew Maxwell IMO, but he's still far short of Sandi who was my favourite of all the hosts.

Septemberissue Thu 17-Oct-19 18:13:53

I was wondering this too, but i'm not sure if they're perhaps going to go the same way as HIGNFY and have a guest host every week. I'm not sure that's the case, i'm just speculating of course! smile

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Thu 17-Oct-19 18:17:05

I hope not, I quite like having a permanent host, they can settle in and make it their own. All the temporary hosts seem rather tentative and a bit nervous.

toomuchfaster Thu 17-Oct-19 18:19:23

Zoe Lyons was alright, not good enough for a permanent gist. I'd rather Andrew Maxwell was a contestant! I hope they do choose someone soon, I stopped watching HIGNFY partly due to a different host each week.

toomuchfaster Thu 17-Oct-19 18:20:21

*gist = host! Not sure what autocorrect did there!

FMFL Thu 17-Oct-19 18:22:04

I miss Miles Jupp sad

Sportsnight Thu 17-Oct-19 18:23:40

I think they’ve said they’ll choose a new host before the next series. I don’t think they’re auditions per se, but I bet there’s an element of that. I always liked Susan Calman. I think she’d be good. I liked Angela Barnes from this run, and Andrew Maxwell. But I think most of them have been ok.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Thu 17-Oct-19 18:33:33

I find Zoe Lyons very funny as a contestant, but I wasn't that blow away by her as a host.

ShiningTor Thu 17-Oct-19 22:45:57

I liked Angela Barnes too.

Love Andrew Maxwell but prefer him as a contestant when we can hear more of him.

KingscoteStaff Fri 18-Oct-19 01:13:23

If they are, I’d say Andy Zaltzman won.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 20-Oct-19 21:40:22

I quite liked Nish Kumar as host on Friday. He has other stuff on though, doesn't he, the Mash Report often runs at the same time as the News Quiz so he probably doesn't have enough availability to be full time host of both.

I think they should have Hugo Rifkind on every episode of the News Quiz, at least until Brexit is finally sorted out. Mostly because I feel much better about not really understanding what's happening when he calls it an inexplicable shit show and says he has no idea what's going on even though understanding politics is literally his job. Also because he has a lovely speaking voice.

insanepizza Sat 09-Nov-19 08:23:51

I also miss Miles, but then when Sandi left I was worried. Lots of potential for a good new host but still anxious as to whether they'll get it right.

ShiningTor Sat 09-Nov-19 08:26:28

I think they should have Hugo Rifkind on every episode of the News Quiz, at least until Brexit is finally sorted out. Mostly because I feel much better about not really understanding what's happening when he calls it an inexplicable shit show and says he has no idea what's going on even though understanding politics is literally his job. Also because he has a lovely speaking voice.

So true!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »