Talk

Advanced search

What can I listen to that is not depressing as hell?

(9 Posts)
VenetiaHall Wed 06-Mar-19 15:24:36

I'm a big fan of the radio to potter about to while the small children destroy the house around me, but lately everything I turn on (ok, Radio 4) is super depressing. Brexit, drugs, knife crime, the dark web, gambling addictions, suicides... I know this is the world we live in but I don't remember radio programming always being so bloody bleak?

Is there anything on R4, or are there any podcasts worth listening to that might cheer me up, or at least not be so depressing?

Obviously TA is a given grin

MikeUniformMike Thu 07-Mar-19 18:51:47

Cabin Pressure.

SoMuchToBits Thu 07-Mar-19 18:56:46

A Good Read. Tuesdays at 4.30 pm. The 6.30pm comedy programmes (Mon to Fri). Gardeners' Question Time. (Fri afternoon). Round Britain Quiz (Mon 3pm).

Bayleyf Thu 07-Mar-19 19:14:59

Podcast not radio, but Fortunately with Fi and Jane cheers me right up.

VenetiaHall Sat 09-Mar-19 09:17:10

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll check these out. I do love the Round Britain quiz (it's like the radio version of Only Connect smile)

FindPrimeLorca Sat 09-Mar-19 09:26:34

I’m having that trouble at the mo. I listen to several hours of radio on iPlayer while I commute and the drama’s all a bit gloomy at the mo.
Currently on my playlist is:
More or Less podcast
Kermode and Mayo film review programme (very cheery)
The new Charles Paris comedy mystery
Old Harry’s Game repeats on R4Xtra
Tom Wrigglesworth
The Last Chronicle of Barset (best if you’ve listened to the previous stories though)
Horrible Histories (3 hour slot from R4X combining chaand sample programmes about history used in comedy shows: very light)

littlebillie Sat 09-Mar-19 13:14:52

Audible is great you can pick your content

SileneOliveira Sat 09-Mar-19 13:19:10

i love "Help I Sexted My Boss" but it's quite sweary and not appropriate if you have small people around.

CanoeDoYouThinkYouAre Mon 11-Mar-19 14:58:58

If you, like me, were a teenager in the early nineties i can heartily recommend the 'Again with this' podcast. They recap every episode of Beverly Hills 90210 from the beginning with hilarious results.

There's also Still Pretty which does the same for Buffy.

I listen to a lot of true crime podcasts so the above are my light relief, along with radio 4 comedy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: