Talk

Advanced search

If you can't abide John Humphrys or Nicky Campbell...?

(47 Posts)
Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 08:37:13

Any alternative suggestions please?

Martha and Nick are ok, but having listened for years, I now find Radio 4's Today programme ponderous and irritating. As for John Humphreys, I switch off as soon as I hear his voice.

I like Radio 5 Live's early business coverage (especially Rico!) but I am not devoted to sport or Nicky Campbell.

Where do I go now? Has to be accessible via Internet Radio in Europe Zone One.

borntobequiet Tue 05-Feb-19 08:41:11

No solutions, sorry, but I also switch off when I hear JH. When he’s presenting, I learn to appreciate silence. Also not listening to news improves my wellbeing.

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 08:49:43

I honestly don't know anyone among my friends who doesn't switch off when JH comes on now so we are not alone borntobequiet! I find him dreadfully boorish.

I would also appreciate silence in the morning but there is a noisy three hour slot in my household between 6 and 9 am (DH business and home very close together) when I prefer to plug in and tune out and get on with my chores! The radio helps with that!

Boiledeggandtoast Tue 05-Feb-19 08:50:03

The World Service. Far less parochial with much better international news and some really interesting other programmes.

SlightAggrandising Tue 05-Feb-19 08:50:54

World service

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 08:54:38

Thank you Slightaggrandising and Boiledeggandtoast stupidly I hadn't thought to try that. I often listen to the WS for 20 mins at 3am when the dog has woken me up, but somehow it hasn't occurred to me to tune in in the mornings!

borntobequiet Tue 05-Feb-19 08:59:56

Oh yes agree World Service! Sorry!

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 09:05:31

Thank you, we have a consensus! smile

I'm definitely going to try the WS, but does anyone have any other suggestions just out of interest?

HeronLanyon Tue 05-Feb-19 09:06:33

I have really disliked jh for many many years. Can’t abide him. Haven’t listened to today for decades solely because of him.

Used to feel a bit that way about nc but have come to respect him - think to do with ‘long lost family’, his vocal respect and love of environment and animals, etc. Come to think he’s more interesting and ‘complex’ than I had realised.

HeronLanyon Tue 05-Feb-19 09:08:31

I’ve been searching for radio feed of bbc news 24 tv channel. Mystifying it doesn’t seem to exist (or does it ?) American friend recently told me they can get it in us via web or international radio app but I think he may have been thinking of world service ??

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 09:15:42

Yes HeronLanyon if I had to choose between the two, then I much prefer NC. He seems professional (and he likes dogs which is a bonus!) but I am not as interested in the content ifyswim and find the format of the show a bit too vox pop and focused on sport. The female presenters seem very competent but I can't distinguish between them. And later on in the morning, although I know it takes skill to facilitate them, I can't stand phone-ins!

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 09:17:40

Oh I haven't heard of BBC news 24, will have a look, thanks!

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 09:22:06

I listen to Fi and Jane's 'Fortunately' podcast on Fridays, and they keep mentioning a radio station they listen to in the mornings. Would it be LBC or something similar? Not sure? LW something? Don't know if I can access those via Internet Radio or not (not too up with the technology either!)

HeronLanyon Tue 05-Feb-19 09:38:35

Have bbc news 24 tv on a lot. Is on freebiew and sky (503). Some insert profs are really great like ‘click’ technology review - ‘open source’ really great broad overview of news - ‘film review’ - ‘travel’. 30 min inserts in otherwise 24 hour news.

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 09:43:02

I have a satellite TV so will have a look to see if I have it. Thanks again Heron! It sounds interesting! Tbh though, the radio suits me better because I am constantly on the move and don't really like watching TV during the day.

HeronLanyon Tue 05-Feb-19 18:06:39

At the risk of coming across all techie I either link my iPhone (via Bluetooth to tv and just listen that way) or I have a very old fm plug in transmitter thing which I can plug into tv headphone jack and listen to the tv on a very old fashioned mini portable radio with headphones). grin my version of bbc news 24 radio. Do have to run In and watch every now and then. I do actually have a full time job so this is weekend / cleaning type listening.

HeronLanyon Tue 05-Feb-19 18:10:04

Yes finand jane mention lbc quite a bit. Most TVs also have radio stations if you search around in the menu. Your menu ornstation guide will also show you where bbc 24 is. On some freeview setups it is around channel 223/233? or similar. Mine just has blue screen if I play radio stations.

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 19:07:55

Wow Heron that is fantastically helpful thank you so much! And thank you for lbc steer! Sorry to be so thick and un-techie! blush Will try all of that out!

MillytantForceit Tue 05-Feb-19 20:13:28

World service in the mornings is rather Africa-centric, a big audience for them.

NPR:

nprdmp-live01-mp3.akacast.akamaistream.net/7/998/364916/v1/npr.akacast.akamaistream.net/nprdmp_live01_mp3

SamSpade Tue 05-Feb-19 20:18:50

Lauren Lavern on radio 6 music.

Sproutingcorm Tue 05-Feb-19 23:53:00

Thanks Samspade will give it a go but suspect I might be a bit too old!

Will try WS too thanks Millytant and see how it goes!

Going to try LBC too if I can tune in.

borntobequiet Wed 06-Feb-19 07:21:46

This might give you hope, OP
www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/john-humphrys-today-programme-resign-step-down-quit-bbc-radio-4-a8765016.html

Sproutingcorm Wed 06-Feb-19 07:30:35

One can only hope Borntobequiet!

I hope that won't give him free rein to appear on yet more BBC programmes though. Watching him attempt "casual chat" with Mastermind contestants is toe curling enough!

FancyForgetting Wed 06-Feb-19 07:59:59

That Independent article has made my day - although it doesn’t sound certain enough for my liking!

Agree that World Service is always a good alternative and Good Morning Scotland on BBC Radio Scotland is not as parochial as the name might suggest and gives a rare non London-centric perspective.

Apart from the obvious, I personally resent Humphrys for the fact that all my morning timings are worked to the various features on the Today programme so, if he forces me to turn over, it inconveniences/confuses me and makes not a jot of difference to him!

Sproutingcorm Wed 06-Feb-19 08:22:21

grin Fancy forgetting

And thank you, adding BBC Radio Scotland to my list!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: