Talk

Advanced search

Why doesn't the watershed apply to radio?

(15 Posts)
OhFlipMama Mon 26-Nov-18 20:00:08

Just listening to a drama on radio 4 (The Heart of a Woman) and there's a fair bit of swearing. Wondering why watershed rules apply to tv but not radio.

FadedRed Mon 26-Nov-18 20:13:31

Often wondered the same, Op, but presume that Rafio4 is primarily an adult channel, so it’s listeners should be aware that adult themed programmes might include stuff like this?

OhFlipMama Mon 26-Nov-18 20:14:36

Maybe. It's a bit awkward when I have the children in the car!

TheEfficientBaxter Mon 26-Nov-18 20:45:49

I've been wondering the same thing for a couple of years now.

Everything (except the F and C words) seems to be acceptable now - even on quizzes like ISIHAC and JAM, without pre-broadcast warnings.

Not sure if I like it or not.

TheEfficientBaxter Mon 26-Nov-18 20:49:39

I know it's not exactly swearing, but I was a bit shock blush when someone said 'shagging' on The Archers recently!

OhFlipMama Mon 26-Nov-18 20:53:35

I'm not keen, @TheEfficientBaxter. I'm not prudish by any means but I like to know I can trust pre-9pm entertainment to be family-safe.

Eastpoint Mon 26-Nov-18 20:54:57

I don’t like it either, we don’t swear because we just don’t, other people can do as they wish in their homes & I don’t think it’s appropriate.

I haven’t noticed swearing on Radio 5 or on commercial radio stations, maybe because they don’t have dramas?

DollyWilde Mon 26-Nov-18 20:55:56

www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specials/1738_respect/page10.shtml

I wondered this when there was a very sweary play one weekday afternoon when I was off work.

DrWhy Mon 26-Nov-18 21:00:15

To be fair I’d be a bit wary of Radio 4 with children in the car regardless of swearing, their news and documentary programs can be quite hard hitting - it really is designed for adults or at least to be considered on a program by program basis. My 2 year old is getting increasingly verbal and understanding a lot more of what he hears and I’m starting to be aware of having to change station now. My mum used to inflict radio 2 on us which I always hated but I can see why now - it’s pretty blandly inoffensive!

OddBoots Mon 26-Nov-18 21:05:50

I'm not sure BBC R4 is the right station for young children and with older children you can discuss the use of words for the right context, it's nothing they won't hear at school in most places.

That said, I would rather children heard a few swear words on the radio than watched the dysfunction and aggression on the likes of Hollyoaks and EastEnders.

exorcisingarrrgggghti Mon 26-Nov-18 21:57:54

There is usually a warning before anything on R4 about containing ' strong language'.

PaintBySticker Mon 26-Nov-18 22:02:37

Radio 4 does seem prone to swearing / adult content in the day. This thread has reminded me of a ‘book of the week’ when we were in holiday that contained child sexual abuse. Which involved a quick switch over as our 7 year old was in the car (I don’t think he was listening / noticed what was going on).

toomuchfaster Tue 27-Nov-18 06:39:42

This reminds me of a thread a while ago where there was a discussion about Santa not existing on Dilemma with Sue Perkins. The OP was livid as she was listening with her children in the car just after 6pm. I think most posters agreed that R4 is not child friendly!!

TheEfficientBaxter Tue 27-Nov-18 20:23:19

Oooh! On The Archers this evening, Lily said 'bloody' shock

What is the world coming to?

R4 Thu 29-Nov-18 08:57:03

It's funny, isn't it. The BBC seems to be on a continual search for young/next generation listeners but then scores own-goals like broadcasting adult material which results in parents switching channels.
I think that Woman's Hour these days make a conscious effort to try to tone it down during half-term week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: