Talk

Advanced search

The Archers No. 94: Freddie’s doing porridge, Tom gets his oats, but will Home Farm be toast? We’ll have to wheat and see ... Serial production is in full swing in Ambridge

(1000 Posts)
witchmountain Thu 18-Oct-18 21:27:23

archers Thanks to LilG for the title, and DDD for starting the last thread and the tradition of the thread starter nominating the next thread starter grin

Lurkers are always welcome to unlurk and join in, including asking questions of the many very knowledgeable posters with a long Archers-listening history.

Don't post spoilers based on forthcoming plot synopses that you've read, there's another thread for that (and we'd love to see you over there). Once an episode has aired then it's fair game. archers

MapleLeafRag Fri 19-Oct-18 12:49:11

Thats what I like LilG and Witch, a nice "corny" title! grin

MrsArthurShappey Fri 19-Oct-18 13:16:38

Hello you two!

Thanks for stepping up to the plate witch (is it you gruach?)

I'd like to repeat Volant's point from the end of the last thread. The contrast between Josh (immediately and genuinely contrite, telling Jill himself and taking full responsibilty) and Pip (keeping schtum even as the IBR crisis got worse) and David's reaction to both is striking.

Josh is a bit of a selfish git, but I don't particularly blame him for being so. No one else is looking out for him!

ppeatfruit Fri 19-Oct-18 14:21:51

I did like the scene with Lynda at the Cider Club, with her talking about
smoking Gouloises "et Gitanes" and pretending to be Simone De Bouvoir at 'Les Deux Magots'.

Slightly above the heads of the 'horny handed men of the soil' grin is she doing Cold Comfort Farm or Midsummer Night's Dream? Any ideas?

DadDadDad Fri 19-Oct-18 14:49:07

Ah, but at least Lynda had Robert as her local guide to provide interpretation to the natives. grin Although even he gave up with the de Beauvoir reference.

MS Night's Dream would be an unusual choice for Christmas. Lynda's been writing a script, hasn't she, so presume it's not an existing play.

MereDintofPandiculation Fri 19-Oct-18 16:07:30

MS Night's Dream would be an unusual choice for Christmas. Lynda's been writing a script, hasn't she, so presume it's not an existing play. She always writes the script - you have to really for pantomime, to get all the topical local references in. Keep the same plot and characters, but new script.

witchmountain Fri 19-Oct-18 16:09:45

MrsArthurShappey I'm flattered to be mistaken for her, but no. Maybe cast your eyes over DDD's analysis again, she's still very much with us.

MrsArthurShappey Fri 19-Oct-18 16:42:06

Aha witch, I think I know. And I think I know who Tiger used to be. So are you a namechanger too?

TigerDrankAllTheWaterInTheTap Fri 19-Oct-18 17:11:53

<shifty look>

cheminotte Fri 19-Oct-18 17:26:59

We were listening to yesterday’s episode at breakfast this morning and when Lynda spoke DS asked ‘is that the Queen?’

R4 Fri 19-Oct-18 19:19:17

Missed a trick there!

Jill: We must support Elizabeth.
David: You're right. <hands over list of solicitors and phone> Well volunteered, Mum.

Fink Fri 19-Oct-18 19:59:11

Well volunteered, Mum.

R4, David's too canny to try that. If he got Jill doing any more jobs, he'd start to go without meals, washing, ironing, house cleaning (I assume Jill does most of the cleaning at Brookfield since Emma left), home baked cakes ...

MereDintofPandiculation Fri 19-Oct-18 21:36:58

It's all very well giving Lizzie moral support by going along with her idea of appealing, but what if it risks making things worse? (Though she can't appeal on Freddie's behalf if he doesn't want to, she might talk him into it). This article says something I didn't know- if you bring an appeal which is considered frivolous (no chance of succeeding), the judge can issue a "loss of time" order - any prison time up to the date of the appeal no longer counts towards time served - you effectively start again from day 1.
www.defence-barrister.co.uk/appealing-against-a-crown-court-sentence/

Volant Fri 19-Oct-18 22:10:58

What I'm not clear about is whether Freddie actually wants to appeal - because surely it has to be his decision. We haven't heard him say so, have we? And he's likely to have found out from his current associates that there is a danger of his sentence being increased.

ANutAsBigAsABoulder Fri 19-Oct-18 23:35:11

archers archers archers archers archers archers archers archers archers archers archers archers

Bull jam for harvest time - enough for everyone grin

witchmountain Fri 19-Oct-18 23:37:16

MrsArthurShappey I'm not. A long time lurker who posted infrequently a while back, then wandered off, and has posted a lot more recently.

witchmountain Fri 19-Oct-18 23:44:31

Your bull jam sounds, er, like quite a delicacy, Nut. What a shame you missed the Flower & Produce Show.

<eyes jar suspiciously>

EBearhug Sat 20-Oct-18 01:10:52

What I'm not clear about is whether Freddie actually wants to appeal - because surely it has to be his decision.

I thought he was pretty clear he didn't want to appeal.

LillianGish Sat 20-Oct-18 07:31:15

David: You're right. <hands over list of solicitors and phone> Well volunteered, Mum Well apart from Usha, Jill only knows one solicitor. I wondered why Carole had suddenly made a reappearance.

BertrandRussell Sat 20-Oct-18 08:13:31

Time for the reappearance of Max the Super Lawyer?

ppeatfruit Sat 20-Oct-18 08:32:48

But Mere The actual word pantomime has not been mentioned (taps side of nose mysteriously in Lynda like way) I assume grin

BertrandRussell Sat 20-Oct-18 08:36:11

I still think it's going to be Antigone.

QuaterMiss Sat 20-Oct-18 08:54:49

I still think it's going to be Antigone.

Now, that is the funniest thing I've read all year! thlgrin

Thank you for the beautiful new thread peeps. flowers

ppeatfruit Sat 20-Oct-18 08:57:24

I think it's going to be Lysisrita (sp) ? with the 'mechanicals' appearing wearing 'ahem' attachments grin

DadDadDad Sat 20-Oct-18 09:33:47

Oh yes, Lysistrata, the one where the women of Greece stage a sex-strike. I remember seeing that (in Liverpool, I think) more that 20 years ago. I wonder how that would go down in Ambridge?

Anyway, got to go now and dig a grave for a hamster. sad

MrsArthurShappey Sat 20-Oct-18 10:55:09

RIP hammy DDD, my thoughts are with you at this difficult time sad

This thread is not accepting new messages.