Talk

Advanced search

Frank Skinner on Absolute Radio? There must be some mistake...

(6 Posts)
WestleyAndButtockUp Thu 13-Apr-17 11:55:02

Any long-term readers around?

MN discussions on Frank Skinner often tend to be dismissive of him because of his 'lad' history and several dodgy things he's said; and I do recognise those - I have several issues with some of his attitudes.

But at the same time I get a lot of laughs from his show as an ensemble of Emily, Alun and Gareth. As a whole, the whole programme is complex and rich and multifaceted.

for example,. FS's casual references to his Catholicism. Emily and Alun are atheists, Gareth and Frank are Christians. It does make for a different type of entertainment show, especially as all of them are searching out the jokes and puns inherent in any topic.

BertrandRussell Thu 13-Apr-17 11:59:55

I'm a real Emily fan. And I do love a good pun, so the podcast is essential listening for me. I am also always impressed by an auto didact.

But there really is something very sleazy about Frank. His stand up is very...icky, for want of a better word.

MadisonAvenue Thu 13-Apr-17 12:02:12

The channel gets changed the moment his show starts. I have no problem with Frank Skinner but can't stand the sound of the woman who is in the studio with him.
I don't like the radio format where there's a group of sidekicks in the studio anyway.

BertrandRussell Thu 13-Apr-17 12:04:21

Emily's brilliant! So funny- and so good at taking the piss out of herself.

WestleyAndButtockUp Thu 13-Apr-17 12:12:41

Emily is fab! I love her.

I once went to the recording of Frank Skinner's sitcom, 'Shane'. It was so bad, ITV recorded the whole second series and then didn't release any of it.

I remember thinking at the time, it's all jokes, no character, and contrived situations. Felt very retro. And he once said in an interview, or on the podcast, that he had been told that was the basis for it being cancelled.

He's able to mock his own slightly pretentious way of speaking by undercutting it in his standup, or Emily and Alun mock it on the show. But when all of his characters spoke in EXACTLY the same way on the sitcom, it just didn't seem real at all.

WestleyAndButtockUp Wed 19-Apr-17 12:40:18

I normally like Emily hosting the show when FS is away, but there was something about the most recent podcast which seemed a bit forced.

I think it was because it was not live. They were all trying a little too hard, and laughing a little too earnestly at ... not much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now