Talk

Advanced search

S Town

(24 Posts)
Nonagoninfinity Sun 09-Apr-17 13:02:13

Is there an S Town thread anywhere that I have missed? Simply loved the podcast and wanted to find others to geek out with!

TinfoilHattie Sun 09-Apr-17 13:19:59

I've got it downloaded to my phone but haven't started listening yet - too much other stuff to plough my way through first!

Nonagoninfinity Sun 09-Apr-17 14:06:21

It will certainly take over your life for a few days - be warned! it is honestly one of the most fascinating and moving things I've ever heard...

BigDeskBob Mon 10-Apr-17 18:32:24

I've just listened to the first episode. I was beginning to think he'd made it all up.

I'm going to try to listen to more this evening.

PseudoBadger Tue 11-Apr-17 10:56:45

I've listened to the first 3 and will try to finish it today or tomorrow. It is fascinating.

BigDeskBob Tue 11-Apr-17 20:21:54

I've just finished. I don't know what to think. It all became very dark.

Nonagoninfinity Wed 12-Apr-17 23:10:37

I found his story hauntingly absorbing and thought the editing of all the different strands was very cleverly done. I loved how they didn't shy away from exploring all aspects of his life without any sensationalism or judgement. There was a real sense of tragedy to it that sort of stuck in my head!

Without giving too much away, the theory they put forward explaining the reasons behind his behaviour made a lot of sense. Tempted to listen again....

AtlantaGinandTonic Wed 12-Apr-17 23:14:26

I've got it all downloaded and ready for when DD1 goes back to school. I'll be listening on the school run. I'm well and truly excited now! grin

BigDeskBob Thu 13-Apr-17 10:46:51

I feel really manipulated. I don't want to give anything away, but the reporter knew about the church on his first meeting, but didn't revival anything about it until the last episode. It does change the whole friendship dynamic.

Nonagoninfinity Fri 14-Apr-17 18:33:59

Yes, the church is a shocker. I was unsure what to think about the power dynamics there as Tyler was clearly uncomfortable with how far it went. I also felt it was incredibly sad the lengths he was prepared to go to to experience a calm mind. Or maybe it was a sexual thing? Either way it was very disturbing. I didn't feel manipulated though - shocked, yes but not manipulated.

clangermum Sun 16-Apr-17 19:45:48

BigDeskBob was it somewhere in the podcast that he was told about church on his first meeting? I missed that, if it was. Yes, that would change how I felt.

WestleyAndButtockUp Sun 23-Apr-17 22:35:28

How would it change the friendship dynamic?

The friendship between Tyler and John B? Or the friendship between the reporter and John B?

AtlantaGinandTonic Mon 24-Apr-17 14:18:58

I think it's implied that it changed the friendship between John and Tyler. This podcast was brilliant. Have any of you listened to Serial? Is it worth a go after having listened to S-Town?

WestleyAndButtockUp Mon 24-Apr-17 14:23:19

Serial is definitely worth listening to - the first series (not the second). Utterly brilliant.

Remember how well S-Town established something, and then you learn how another person's point of view also seems understandable? That happens all the time in Serial!

AtlantaGinandTonic Mon 24-Apr-17 16:21:48

Excellent stuff. I've listened to podcasts for years - This American Life, Radiolab, Hardcore History are a few - and am always looking out for another good one. Thanks! smile

kohl Mon 24-Apr-17 17:46:12

I thought it was a great piece of radio: tender and haunting. The segment with his friend when he was recounting sitting in the car with John to pick up a prescription for his mother will stay with me for a long time-how difficult it can be to allow ourselves happiness.

I read an interesting piece in vice, I think, about the ethics of it-well worth reading, but it is undeniably a brilliant podcast.

Also the use of that Zombies song is inspired.

SandlakeRd Mon 24-Apr-17 18:01:54

I really enjoyed it and was truly shocked at the end of ep 2 (was it?) when the presenter got the call. There was a lot of real emotion running through all of it.

WestleyAndButtockUp Mon 24-Apr-17 20:49:05

Yeah, the end of ep2 was a shock to me.

I've been recommending it to a couple of people, but the articles I want to send them, all pretty much reveal that unfortunate event.

PenguinRoar Tue 25-Apr-17 16:19:15

Totally overwhelming radio. I need to listen to it all again. So many interests/cultures and people unknown to me and yet completely 'everyman'. It was bizarre and beautiful. Gutted about the house.

Autumnsweater Tue 25-Apr-17 16:22:40

I've finished it, wasn't what I expected, but fantastic character study. So sad in many ways. So many unanswered questions (why did the people in the list not get rung?!!).

WestleyAndButtockUp Wed 26-Apr-17 21:22:53

Good point. I've read a couple of spoilery threads since I finished the podcast, but they didn't really address unanswered questions. Anyone recommend any websites or threads?

NapQueen Wed 26-Apr-17 21:25:31

Im halfway through the penultimate episode, and should have it finished tomorrow so I will comeback to this thread.

I really love it. Its very dark and moving. Im enjoying it much more than Serial S2, and maybe a touch more than Serial S1.

MacarenaFerreiro Fri 19-May-17 11:00:15

I've listened to the first 5 episodes and it's fascinating. Very well-produced and put together.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Mon 29-May-17 07:18:18

It's incredibly well edited.
I agree that the listener having known about 'church' in the beginning would have pretty much changed the whole plot reveal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now