Talk

Advanced search

David Sedaris

(17 Posts)
Vango Thu 02-Mar-17 18:47:58

So pleased to hear him, clever and witty, back on R4.

fairycakecentral Fri 03-Mar-17 16:28:28

Oh I love David Sedaris, I haven't listened to R4 for a few weeks (since getting Netflix!) but I'll look for him on catch up. His essay on looking for a new home with a visit to the Anne Frank house is one of my favourite ever radio pieces. I made my DH listen so I could listen again.

Are they new essays (not that it matters)?

fairislecable Tue 07-Mar-17 07:44:17

I too love David Sedaris ( went to see him live a few years ago).

I think the ones on at the moment are repeats as I started to listen and realised I had heard it before.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Wed 08-Mar-17 12:12:48

There's a new series on the way as I applied for tickets for the recording (and didn't get any sad).

Yes, current ones are repeats.

SloanyAnne Wed 08-Mar-17 12:15:10

Thanks for posting this. I love him.

StiginaGrump Wed 08-Mar-17 12:40:19

God he is a delight isn't he. Oddly I spent years just catching a bit of him here and there and was quite certain he was a woman - I was quite surprised to find out he was a mansmile

I love him - he works well in print too and I like his writings

funnylikeaclown Wed 08-Mar-17 20:00:49

Stigina - have you heard him singing as Billie Holiday? Spookily accurate!

harrykane Wed 08-Mar-17 20:58:10

Can I ask when he's on, I love him.

StiginaGrump Wed 08-Mar-17 21:16:21

No I haven't!! I can already imagine it though.

funnylikeaclown Wed 08-Mar-17 21:27:36

Snippet from youtube but I remember one of his readings where he is talks about his childhood and his attempt to impress by singing commercials in the style of Billie Holiday so hopefully that will turn up in the current round of repeats.

He's on tomorrow 6.30pm harrykane

harrykane Wed 08-Mar-17 21:42:41

Thanks funny

StiginaGrump Thu 09-Mar-17 19:20:53

Ha ha much amusement round our dinner table - that would be for me and hubby, kids entirely bemused!!
X

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 09-Mar-17 19:27:16

Listened on the way home, brilliant

Travelledtheworld Sun 12-Mar-17 10:22:30

Joining you David Sedaris fans.
I love him too.
The intonation in his voice makes him almost addictive to listen to.
I lived a long time in the USA and he is such a perceptive observer of life in his home country.
Listening to lots of old shows on the iplayer.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 12-Mar-17 10:26:49

I'm quite happily listening to this series, even though it is a repeat.

DH always get the giggles when we hear anyone mention 'Nicaragua' thanks to David Sedaris grin

fairycakecentral Mon 13-Mar-17 07:43:14

Weirdly, I'm not so keen on his books. I think if I'd read them without knowing his voice and inflections I would think he was a deeply horrible man. When he reads his work on the radio - genuis.

harrykane you can find him on Thursday in the 6.30pm slot or on catch up.

Assuming most things are based on truths, his essay on his sister Tiffany makes for very uncomfortable listening. His honesty about his actions and feelings are not endearing in the slightest but just the fact that he is able to be so open about having these feelings makes him a better man. I don't think I could have been so candid.

fairycakecentral Mon 13-Mar-17 07:45:04

Meant to add, he has a UK tour this year. Tickets bought smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now