Talk

Advanced search

Sounds of the Sixties R2

(18 Posts)
ppeatfruit Sat 18-Feb-17 17:41:26

Is anyone a bit annoyed that it's going to be broadcast at 6AM and DO'Leary is getting it's old spot?

cherryrednose Sat 18-Feb-17 23:16:10

Yes angry It works really well in that spot and O Dreary is just going to be the usual vacuous hole-in-the-ground.

I'm really glad that Tony Blackburn has got another show after the horrendous way they treated him but it's way too early for me.
SOS is a really excellent blend of music - classics, rarities, cheesy stuff, experimental. Maybe they should just have moved it to 6 music in the same slot, it would fit in well there.

INeedNewShoes Sat 18-Feb-17 23:20:14

Is Brian definitely not coming back?

IvorHughJarrs Sat 18-Feb-17 23:29:15

I think it is a shame Tony Blackburn is not on at a more accessible time, the BBC are hardly making amends to him.
Dermot O'Leary has produced a self-aggrandising giant steaming pile of shit for ages, I turn off as his show starts so will not be listening on Saturday mornings.
I think they should have put Dermot on at 6am and Tony Blackburn at 8am.

paulapantsdown Sun 19-Feb-17 00:34:08

I don't really enjoy the Dermot O'Leary show, but anything has to be better than that boring old SOS show - can't believe it was on for so long!

cherryrednose Sun 19-Feb-17 00:46:05

Ineednewshoes no Brian's not coming back, they are allowing him to do a farewell show around Easter. It was all a bit sad and brutal as they announced he'd retired due to ill health while he was announcing that he was fine and wanted to return.

Once SOS finishes I will have no reason to listen to R2 at all.

INeedNewShoes Sun 19-Feb-17 07:43:46

sad Brian is my favourite Radio 2 presenter by far. Rubbish that they have treated him like that.

My parents and I have listened to SOS for years. We often have a chat on the phone about the songs after the show. It hasn't been the same since Brian went.

R2 is losing its appeal for me too. The list of shows I don't want to listen to just keeps growing to the point where I feel like I need a new radio station to listen to altogether. Any suggestions!?

ppeatfruit Sun 19-Feb-17 09:04:10

I agree Ivor . But like paulapants I reckon SOS used to play some really bad stuff. I think that the 60s had amazing music but also there was rubbish, like most eras . Only more of the 60s and 70s music was amazing than now for sure.!

I have thought that Brian M has sounded quite ill for a while, he definitely needs a proper break. or be allowed to die in peace sad.

I enjoyed Tim Rice's version of SOS better to be honest . What is the BBC thinking putting it out at 6am?

ppeatfruit Sun 19-Feb-17 09:07:48

I like Tony Blackburn too, he was treated extremely badly by the BEEB. It's good to see him back ( i hope they apologised hmm).

ChuckSnowballs Sun 19-Feb-17 09:11:46

Can you not just move over to 6 music, where they have good music from all eras on every day? I can't imagine having to choose from between Blackburn and O Dreary. The only 60s programme I've ever enjoyed is the Mark Lamarr Alternative 60s. Which was ace.

beanfilledfish Sun 19-Feb-17 09:12:19

SOS was so good as he played the more obscure records that will prob be forgotten it was such a good show so different . Some people's bad stuff are others good stuff and the 60s were so varied that's what made it such a good era will miss Brian's shows

beanfilledfish Sun 19-Feb-17 09:14:04

I listen mostly to radio London radio. Radio 2 is pretty poor

ppeatfruit Sun 19-Feb-17 09:37:41

Chuck I did try it but it was not for me, I'm from a different era. So much indy stuff, I do like good music of all types maybe I haven't given it enough time grin (I must admit I find heavy metal of all types, and some rap not for me!).

I like Ken Bruce but he plays too many power ballads for me (whispers) I don't mind Chris Evans too much

ChuckSnowballs Sun 19-Feb-17 10:05:36

Chuck I did try it but it was not for me, I'm from a different era

How do you know my era? How old are you then?

beanfilledfish Sun 19-Feb-17 10:26:51

if you like heavy metal then planet rock and the arrow are quite good

ppeatfruit Sun 19-Feb-17 21:24:49

I don't know but isn't R6 for the younger market? I'm 66.

NormaSmuff Sun 12-Mar-17 11:24:52

its all a bit crap.
i really enjoyed sound of the sixties with Brian Matthews sad
now tony blackburn is friday nights and saturday morning hmm

and i cannot stand dermot o'leary.
at least that saves the afternoon without him

highinthesky Sun 09-Apr-17 20:55:35

Brian Matthews RIP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now